Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.

COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

KelleySchorn SILVER, Fort Worth, Texas

Whatever you are be a good one-some president i dont remember which
procrastinaters unite!...tomorrow!!-matt
i'm F-U-L-LLLLL i think i can spellllll-allie =]

i agree breakups are harddd! even if ur the one who did the breaking up. i just broke up with my first ever bf, he didnt do anything wrong i just dont like him like that anymore. i cant help how i feel! and now everyones getting on my back for being a jerk!:( i just want to forget about the whole thing and move on with my life!

Blackwing said...
Blackwing, Manassas, Virginia

Humans are born , then they die. Thus, is it not better not being born at all? You have to ask yourself, what you can acomplish in this short amount of time.

yet it's nice to have around sometimes.

teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I agree. Love is but an irritating human emotion that causes one to do things that they regret for the rest of their lives. 'Tis unnecessary. It's degrading and self-depricating.

...Yes, I know, I'm bitter. 

ilyguys said...
on Mar. 15 2011 at 9:22 am
lack of word choice and puncuation

whittles BRONZE, Delmar, Delaware

"A word is dead, when its said, but i say it just begins to live that day."-by; Emily Dickinson

wow :D really? *giggles* i always got over everyone but my first actual boyfriend....... but every guys seems to be better lol :D after him :D *giggles again*

you will eventally get over him :D so find yourself a new one :D

BobTheSpiderTurtle BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

"I'm not suffering form insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it!"

You're welcome

Lyllith SILVER said...
Lyllith SILVER, Austin, Texas
Thank you.

Then you make sure you live your life to the absolute fullest so full it's overflowing with happiness, love, and laughter because then you have lived enough for the both of you and that person would love you for honoring their memory that way and would be glad that you didnt waste your life longing for a love that was so far out of your grasp.

badboss123 said...
omg girl i feel oyu i have been hoding on to this boy name walter for the last 18 months and i cant still get over him i think about him every night.... 

susi09 said...
i can relate, ive been holdin on to this guy, my second boyfriend but my first love for , for a year after we broke up. i cant find someone whos more amazing then him. is hard to move on wen i keep thinking about the great times i have spend with him. <|3 i dont know if i will ever  especially if he still tell me he likes me while having a girlfriend >.<

Blackwing said...
Blackwing, Manassas, Virginia

hmm. Love is nothing but bothersome. you like someone, ye you hate it. You hate thinking about them. You can't stop thinking of them for 1 sec and you hate it. It's botehrsome.

manda_the_random_poet PLATINUM, Elfrida, Arizona
trust me i know how you feel i been on the same thing for three years with this one guy...it not to great..and it just sucks getting told by everyone else that there never a chance..but thanks for the article..glad to know im not the only one that holds on for longer than a month..

Lyllith SILVER said...
Lyllith SILVER, Austin, Texas
What if someone you're still in love with dies? What do you do then?

Skylersmith1997 BRONZE, Gales Ferry, Connecticut
Thanks for the advice man, will do!

lilskunk67 said...
This is so true.. Its hard for me to realize my relationship that i have been in for 5 years...we have cheated on eachother alot but now he is in jail and wants to work thing out ...i want to move on and be happy with him but i  not sure ...

Abbey said...
I can relate too. I've been hung up on a guy for two years as well. He graduated two years ago, and I have been stuck in the same small town at the same small high school ever since. I will definitely take this advice into consideration.

KyleGarbacz GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
This is so true. I just went threw this myself. I went out with my recent ex for 3 months. I kept hoping that we would stop having bad moments and more good ones cuz the good ones we had together were amazing. She was always smiling and laughing, but as time went on it just got worse. We broke up over a month ago and I have a new girlfriend that is so much better. We connect on a whole different level and I am just a happier person altogether now. The advice TO JUST FORGET is perfect. You HAVE to find someone that is better for you and will make you happy as you make them. Else life with that person will just be miserable. This article is so true.

xX_so-confused_Xx PLATINUM, Renton, Washington
Beautiful. Simply Beautiful

Liv Rose said...
Liv Rose, Butler, Pennsylvania
great advice. i broke up with my bf for cheating and right after i met this guy who just made me forget about my ex because i had so much fun with him, you just got have fun and ur sorrrows will go away

kat1 said...
I totally agree with you. But not on the whole forgetting thing. It's never easy to let go of the one you love. And if it was indeed true love then you would never forget about them... that love for that person would always be there.