Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

September 24, 2009
By Anonymous

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.


The author's comments:
COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 471 comments.


evergreen232 said...
on May. 29 2011 at 6:48 pm
evergreen232, Portland, Oregon
0 articles 3 photos 21 comments
i kno!! its really hard to realize that hes not the only thing in life that can make u happy!

on May. 27 2011 at 10:30 pm
PAOLA-ARLETTY BRONZE, Bronx, New York
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
(1) WITHIN YOU, I LOSE MYSELF. WITHOUT YOU, I FIND MYSELF WANTING TO BE LOST AGAIN.
(2) YEAH, BEING APATHETIC IS A PATHETIC WAY TO BE, BUT WHAT MATTERS TO YOU, DOES NOT MATTER TO ME
(3)

OMG, definitely! I have never gone through this, but you're right! i really do understand you despite! 

on May. 19 2011 at 4:58 pm
Mojo4133 BRONZE, Tropy Club, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
“It's all fun and games, until someone looses an eye...than it's fun and games you can't see anymore.”
-James Hetfield

I know exacly how you feel. SO true.

britt_18 said...
on May. 15 2011 at 7:59 pm
britt_18, Winnipeg, Other
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"if you love something, let it go. if it comes back to you, it's yours forever. If it doesnt, then it was never meant to be ."

ahhh its so freaking hard to move on though, like i'll be okay for a bit and then i'll start thinking about him and its so hard to deal with! I can't help wondering if we'll ever end up with each other again .

on May. 13 2011 at 8:10 am
BlakeAyrl SILVER, Constable, New York
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mess with my mate and i will bear my fangs - Me when Im ticked -
Leave her alone or deal with me - Me when Im ticked -

im always there for her and i tell her that and thanks lol

on May. 12 2011 at 5:53 pm
twilightlover SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
8 articles 1 photo 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
love is the slowest suicide.
i love you is eight letters..... so is bull shit.

oh i can realy relate to that. im not much of a talker either unless its a subject i can really talk about but then im nervous around guys. and for the self reliant part. can relate again. you just have to be patient and let her see that your there for her. thats really hard. let her get to trust you on a deep level and see will see that she can depen on you and have you help her. but its going to take time and work. its very hard.

on May. 11 2011 at 2:41 pm
BlakeAyrl SILVER, Constable, New York
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mess with my mate and i will bear my fangs - Me when Im ticked -
Leave her alone or deal with me - Me when Im ticked -

she isnt much of a talker and she's more self reliant and that doesnt help

on May. 10 2011 at 9:06 pm
Angel123 SILVER, Avondale, Arizona
6 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.

This is so true. i just went through a breakup and it hurts so mad. I feel like i did nothing wrong and yet im being treated like the bad guy. Or girl, in this case. It sucks so much. I dont know wat to do anymore, but i dnt think i can forget. I keep Trying, even if it hurts me more.

on May. 10 2011 at 8:24 pm
twilightlover SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
8 articles 1 photo 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
love is the slowest suicide.
i love you is eight letters..... so is bull shit.

yeah you just got to be careful and mind the scars. you dont want it to happen again, have you ever tried talking to her about it?

on May. 10 2011 at 11:48 am
BlakeAyrl SILVER, Constable, New York
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mess with my mate and i will bear my fangs - Me when Im ticked -
Leave her alone or deal with me - Me when Im ticked -

yeah the girl i am in love with pushed me away and just totally changed but now we plan on trying again in a little while but the scars still linger

on May. 7 2011 at 10:45 pm
twilightlover SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
8 articles 1 photo 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
love is the slowest suicide.
i love you is eight letters..... so is bull shit.

dang it is hard. i mean i have gone through some hard break ups and all but this last one has been the hardest. im still in love with this dude and all but he's going after someone else and he says that we're just friends and all that but the way he kisses me kinda says different but he doesnt want to get to attached. so yeah. i mean its really really hard to let go.

on May. 6 2011 at 5:10 pm
TragicMagic SILVER, Smiths Grove, Kentucky
8 articles 1 photo 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life isn't about how popular you are... What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts...and our minds. This is the reason why we sing... this is the reason why we cry... this is why we live."

SOME PPL CAN"T!!!!!!!!

on May. 6 2011 at 5:07 pm
TragicMagic SILVER, Smiths Grove, Kentucky
8 articles 1 photo 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life isn't about how popular you are... What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts...and our minds. This is the reason why we sing... this is the reason why we cry... this is why we live."

I liked this, my bf broke up with me months ago, I still like him and it hurts to walk by him in the hallways and whatnot. :'(

on May. 6 2011 at 8:47 am
Valhalla-is-calling GOLD, Waterboro, Maine
13 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No parent should have to bury their own child." -Theodin

My boyfriend asked me out the other day. so I read this for when I need it.

KayKay:-) said...
on Apr. 16 2011 at 6:46 am
I don't have much experience with romance in general, but I'm pretty sure this is good advice. However, you can still remember some good memories, as long as when you think about them you don't feel all sad ands depressed. But that's just me.

on Apr. 15 2011 at 4:55 pm
jaymishae SILVER, Jonesboro, Arkansas
6 articles 1 photo 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

This is too true.

on Apr. 15 2011 at 4:53 pm
jaymishae SILVER, Jonesboro, Arkansas
6 articles 1 photo 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I remember when my boyfriend moved to Dallas so we had to breakup because we knew the long-distance thing wouldn't work. So when I got my next boyfriend, I never forgot the first and it hurt me so much I broke up with him, leaving him behind, trying to get me back. Now we're friends again, but it took a year to get. I definitely would've been better off if I would have forgotten. This is really good advice.

on Apr. 13 2011 at 11:02 pm
everything_shane BRONZE, Manila, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't rush things. Good things will come to those who wait.

nice.. i love this :)

.Izzy. BRONZE said...
on Apr. 5 2011 at 5:13 pm
.Izzy. BRONZE, Broadview Heights, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 388 comments
Oh wow, I can relate to this. Breakups suck. I decided I needed to end my relationship with my boyfriend for various reasons recently.  We both still love each other, which makes it hard, but I know in my heart it was for the best. Still, moving on is hard. I guess time heals...

on Mar. 24 2011 at 4:52 pm
kaitlyn4 SILVER, Keller, Texas
6 articles 1 photo 7 comments
my boyfriend broke up with me yesterday, and we have already decided to stay friends.