Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

September 24, 2009
By Anonymous

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.


The author's comments:
COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 471 comments.


Eggie94 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 15 2011 at 1:02 am
Eggie94 BRONZE, Palmdale, California
4 articles 0 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
"With great power comes great responsibility" --Bruce Wayne

He was a year younger than me. Too immature and not ready to love like I was. I broke up with him a little more than a month ago. He was my first boyfriend and I would have done anything for him. It hurt soooo bad every single day and I still think about him but it's getting better. I've finally excepted that it's over now and slowly I'm learning to move on.

on Jul. 14 2011 at 7:13 pm

my story, however, is a bit long. I was trying to go after this guy that was not really worth it after all. now he wants me back and I am severly doubtful that he has changed. I know how it feels to go through a bad break upo and only Recently have been able to go on with someone new. i havent met that someone new yet but, you know, im hoping. Should I post my whole sad story here to read?

 


on Jul. 14 2011 at 7:08 pm
this is simply amazing. Thanks!

on Jul. 13 2011 at 3:31 pm
october34 SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6 articles 2 photos 12 comments
SO I had a crush on the nicest, sweetest, best guy ever. One problem, he was a year older than me. All of my grade knew that I liked him so they made me talk to him. It was really awkward. After a couple of days of my friends pushing me towards him he got tired of me so he just said, to my face, "You know I don't like you so just STOP!" I was so depressed I started cutting my wrists. He graduated in May and now I'm just... lost. :(

on Jul. 12 2011 at 1:54 pm
xKeli826x BRONZE, Middletown, New York
1 article 1 photo 57 comments
Sweet Article. :) I broke up with my boyfriend back in November after I was with him for almost a year and a half. Of course this long relationship was absolutely horrific through most of it. He fell under the category of abusive. Both mentally and physically. He was also extremely controlling and he wouldn’t let a day go by where I didn’t see and talk to him. For half of a school year my daily schedule was to go to school, hangout with him all day, go home. Take a shower, talk on the phone all night, go to sleep and repeat the next day. I was doing this all against my will too, we were constantly fighting and I had time for almost nothing else. I was so happy when I finally got out of that because you can’t just say were done to someone so obsessive like he was and when I finally did he switched into stalker mode. Regardless, my point here is that break ups are not fun, but they are like a time of renewal, a fresh start if you will. And that applies to all relationships, not just those like what I described above. 

leafy said...
on Jul. 12 2011 at 1:36 pm
why is this one of the most popular articles of the day?

orangeapple said...
on Jun. 26 2011 at 12:04 am
My ALMOST bf left the day I was going 2 ask him 2 be my official bf. He sent me a stupid email. Im trying to get over it but everytime I heart from him or see a picture or hear a certain Song I break down crying. He told me 2 "Go cry him a river build a bridge and get over it" I never knew words could hurt so much. Frankly I would rather go cry a river then jump in it and drown but oh well.

orangeapple said...
on Jun. 26 2011 at 12:00 am
Friday Night my Almost bf sent me an email saying we needed to break up. well let me tell you he got ALOT of hate messages from my friends. I was depressed and I am going emo. I asked him if we could be friends, cuz hes such a big part of me, but I wish I could just run up to him and hug him and never let him go. I thought he loved me. All the other girls say hes a player and I should just get over him.... Life would be so much better if I had never told Him I liked him. He told me 2 "cry him a river build a bridge and get over it" well Buddy Im trying But Im not like the people who can pop up and find someone else. What I guess I am trying to say is Love isnt a fairy tale. I hope my story helps someone else cuz my heart is broken like glass.

on Jun. 21 2011 at 7:10 pm
Angel123 SILVER, Avondale, Arizona
6 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.

Haha that wud be nice.

on Jun. 21 2011 at 12:06 pm
cookiemonstaaa97 BRONZE, Scotts, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Books say: she did this, because. Life says: she did this. Books are where things are explained to you, life where things aren't.
Julian Barnes

if my ex said that to me he'd have a black eye. mine just said after fighting for two days i think we should see other people with a smile.

on Jun. 21 2011 at 9:52 am
Angel123 SILVER, Avondale, Arizona
6 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.

Exactly. Plus I realize that a break up brings out a persons true thoughts and actiojns, and he's a real jerk. He blamed everything on me. And then said it was my fault he is the way he is

on Jun. 20 2011 at 10:09 pm
cookiemonstaaa97 BRONZE, Scotts, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Books say: she did this, because. Life says: she did this. Books are where things are explained to you, life where things aren't.
Julian Barnes

wow. didn't know how much i'd have in common with some one on here. yeah mine left me sunday night, and monday was 8 months. I've realized that too, my friends do a much better job at keeping me happy anyways :)

on Jun. 20 2011 at 7:04 pm
Angel123 SILVER, Avondale, Arizona
6 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.

That's true. My bf left me a day before our 7 month anniversary. But I realized I dnt need him. I'm better off without him

on Jun. 20 2011 at 4:59 pm
i know you feel my boyfriend left me after 8months for nothing, and it's horrible. every girl deserves better

on Jun. 15 2011 at 12:53 pm
ohcaptainmycaptain PLATINUM, Lumberton, New Jersey
20 articles 6 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
“We, the unwilling,led by the unknowing,are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much,for so long,with so little,we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

Remember the good and forget the bad. Thinkl back and realize all the fun and good that came of the relationship. Some things aren't meant to be. Believe I know it's hard and even worse when you feel all is well and good then a simple something floods all the memories right back. But Dr. Suess said it best, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." As cliche as it sould time always seems to make things easier. Surround yourself with people you love and trust and things will seem infinately better. Some people are only meant to be in your life for a brief time while others are meant to always be by your side. The trick is knowing which category they fall in. Don't be afraid to fight for the people you love but also don't fight for them for the wrong reasons. I wish it could all be nicely mapped out and simply put but I guess then we wouldn't have the thrill and adrenaline which makes love strong and exciting

on Jun. 13 2011 at 2:06 pm
AlyssaFama SILVER, Kunkletown, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
Most people want to be the sun that brightens your day. I'd rather be the moon that shines down on you in your darkest hour.

this was very true. my boyfriend just broke up with me after being together for over a year. I was devastated and still am. Sadly, I still have hope the he will come back to me. Most days I'm okay, but I have those moments when I sit back and realize how much i miss him. Great job writing this.

on Jun. 10 2011 at 8:55 pm
katherinetwizzee BRONZE, New York, New York
3 articles 1 photo 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't have a boyfriend. I have a dog.

i like your articles skyler. Your an awesome writer. You're a guy?

on Jun. 10 2011 at 8:53 pm
katherinetwizzee BRONZE, New York, New York
3 articles 1 photo 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't have a boyfriend. I have a dog.

Yeah. I understand. I just dont know how to get ovet my first boyfriend ever. Its been a year and a half. And im still not over him. Time is surely not helping.

on Jun. 10 2011 at 8:51 pm
katherinetwizzee BRONZE, New York, New York
3 articles 1 photo 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't have a boyfriend. I have a dog.

I get you. I fell in love with my ex, and I walk past him everyday in the hallways and whatnot. Its sucks knowing you ment so much to that person, and you guys dont even bother to say hi. Right?

on May. 29 2011 at 9:00 pm
Gothgirl BRONZE, Thomasville, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The one you love hurts you the most."

I so understand this. I love it. Look back over it though. You put two "thats" sorry if i sound like a jerk just trying to help.