The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Book Review | Teen Ink

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Book Review

January 12, 2015
By Lisa Vouters BRONZE, New-York, New York
Lisa Vouters BRONZE, New-York, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 I've chosen this book for review because it is interesting, this is the first book about medecine and, at the same time, about segregation that I've read. This is the first book by Rebecca Skloot. The latter is a recent author. She was born in Springfield, IL on September 1972. She moved with her family to Portland and she failed her first year of high school. She claimed she was a "derelict kid". She did biological studies. Rebecca learnt about Henrietta Lacksfrom her biology teacher. This book was successful in the US in 2010.

 

Rebecca Skloot presents her opinion about segregation during the 1950s. She seems to be against Jim Crow laws and I'm pretty sure she is.

She exposed her opinion through passages especially in chapter 1 which shows the living conditions of black people under Jim Crow laws. Even in hospitals. This was awful. And I love her way of writing. Rebecca also shows how she found members of Lacks family, 50 years after Henrietta's death. Her opinion is objective, but she exposed it in a different way. This is implicit. We can guess through sentences or paragraphs that she's against this misery for black people under segregation. She mixed science/medecine and the story of HeLa. It's a good method to show that the seperation between black and white people applied up to health-care. Scandalous! Then, I believe that she achieved her aim with this book, she succeeded in touching people, especially in America, where the segregation took place. It is important to take the veil off people's eyes because many are not aware of this matter, and to educate young people about this part of America's history.

 

If I have to describe this book in one word, it will be: prodigious. Indeed, it is well-written and a moving story. I reckon that Skloot did a very great job. For a first one, she made succeeded it! I would recommend you to read this book. As far as I'm concerned, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks isn't a waste of time. Enjoy!



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.