In defense of "that's so gay" | Teen Ink

In defense of "that's so gay"

By Jack.H BRONZE, Elmhurst, Illinois
Jack.H BRONZE, Elmhurst, Illinois

No man drowns if he perseveres in praying to God, and can swim. ~Russian Proverb

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

The controversial expression “that’s so gay” is uttered by many tolerant high school students. It is an innocent idiom and should be the least of society’s concerns. Unfortunately, gay rights activists attack the phrase like it’s hate speech.

Certain activists see the word “gay” in the phrase literally and associate it with homosexuality. However, among our generation, the everyday understanding of the phrase has absolutely nothing to do with sexuality.

For example, when students say a homework assignment is “so gay”, they are saying that it is pointless. After all, can homework really have sexuality?

What students mean is that the assignment is “so pointless.” When they say the phrase, they do not equate “pointless” with “homosexuality” because they are commenting on a useless chore, not a sexual orientation.

I have uttered the expression many times. But it is ludicrous to say that I would mean anything other than the fact that an assignment was futile busywork.

Nonetheless, I have heard hateful speech at school. Whether justified by the Old Testament or an ignorant upbringing, there is hate speech to worry about. Those that hate based on ignorance and fear should be shamed.

However, those who use innocent slang should be left alone.

In our society, we focus on addressing harmful actions. That is why the police are supposed to focus on preventing drunk driving, not jay walking.

Likewise, students who say “that’s so gay” do not violate other students’ right, according to my high school's Agenda, “to be in an environment free of discrimination.” The phrase also does not create “a hostile, offensive or intimidating environment based on … sexual orientation” because the phrase does not describe people.

The Agenda rightfully focuses on actions harmful to students. The phrase does not discriminate because it is free of homophobic meaning. While certain gay rights advocates see an ignorant, hateful expression, I see teenage slang unrelated to homosexuality.

But to those who are offended by my words, I regret my inarticulate speech habits. I hope you will forgive my own and others’ politically incorrect speech: we are not your enemies.

But attacking students’ harmless slang? That’s so pointless.

Some of my gay and lesbian friends were dismayed by my article, yet they said that they felt closer to me. I have laid my view out there, and stand by them. Although, they should not be seen as a justification for homophobia or real homophobic speech.

Mantizah said...
Mantizah, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Other

"And I can fight only for something I love, love only what I respect, and respect only what I at least know" -Adolf Hitler

You nailed that one right on the head. Good job:)

pan1c BRONZE said...
pan1c BRONZE, New London, Connecticut
I understand where you're coming from, but assuming that you are straight, I cannot see how you would be in a position to assert opinions about what is offensive to the LGBT community. The reason people use gay in that context is because they associate homosexuality with a lower class of people--so when people say "This homework is so gay," they're basically insulting the homework by using a word that they think is insulting. The fact that being gay is seen as a bad thing is just offensive. I encourage you not to employ homophobic slurs. Many people at your age are developing their sexuality, and might flinch to hear the word used in a derogratory manner.

FreeRain11 said...
Gay activists attack "that's so gay" like it is hate speech because IT IS HATE SPEECH.  If you replace "pointless" with a word that describes a group of people, you are suggesting that the two words are synonyms, which is incorrect and HATEFUL.  If I said "this homework is so black" instead of saying "this homework is so stupid", people would call me a racist, and they would be right.  Therefore, I don't use the word "black" with the word "stupid".  If you don't want to be hateful, don't use the word.

RiverSong BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
Using a word that many people associate with their identity and self-worth as a slang word that can mean "dumb, boring, pointless, or stupid" demeans people's identities and does not create any sort of "accepting environment". Also, as a straight person you are in no position to be deciding what should or should not offend a gay person.

RiverSong BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
Okay. So in this tolerant, accepting environment that you're talking about, lots and lots of people constantly use the word "gay" to mean "pointless, dumb, boring, stupid" etc. Imagine for a moment that you were a teenager for whom the word "gay" is an intrinsic part of your identity and self-worth. Regardless of the intent of the speaker, using this word (that people use to define a very important part of themselves) as a so-called "innocent slang" demeans this gay teen's identity. Also, as I take it you are straight person, you aren't really in a place to be deciding what should or shouldn't offend gay people. If an LGBTQ+ person says that something is offensive, then it is, and you should stop doing it.

deanna98 said...
I agree with this. No one disputes "fat momma" jokes, even though those directly insult mothers. This is different. If it was not intended to harm, then people should not take offense.

i_am_so_very_large_and_towering SILVER, Mililani, Hawaii

"Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

interesting article, but i totally agree with you Amelia_K

DesertFox94 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
1st Amendment > Individual feelings

johnjohn123 SILVER, St.helens, Oregon
yes it does. it has HUGE ammounts of homophobic intensions.  when people use that phrase when their mad about somthing. which means bad... you see my point?

johnjohn123 SILVER, St.helens, Oregon
i very much agree with you...

Amelia_K SILVER, San Francisco, California

"You know how some people say, 'You can't live without love'? Well, oxygen is even more important." -- Dr. Gregory House, House M.D.

Weird tech problems. Sorry the post repeated itself.

Also, "Tet" should be "test".

I'm sorry, but as an openly les.bian teen and the founder of my school's GSA, I have to comment and tell you where your arguement is flawed.

While it's great that you don't mean harm by the phrase, "That's so g.ay", it's hurtful because the word "g.ay" is used to mean "bad", implying that being g.ay is bad, which it isn't. It's used in situations like if you don't like someone's hat, you say, "That's hat is so g.ay," using g.ay to replace bad.

So let me ask you this, Ja.ck. If everytime I dislike something, I call it Ja.ck, how would you feel? "That ugly hat is so Ja.ck" wouldn't feel very good, would it? "That tet is so Ja.ck." "That rotton banana is sooo Ja.ck."

See where I'm going with this? Bottom line: it's hurtful. Your g.ay and les.bian friends were right to be dismayed by your article.

Jack.H BRONZE said...
Jack.H BRONZE, Elmhurst, Illinois

While the phrase may hurt peoples' feelings, it shouldn't. Our generation's definition for the phrase does not have any homophobic intentions

TakeMeAway BRONZE, Rural Hall, North Carolina

"you flew off with the wings of my heart and left me flightless" stelle atwater

the phrase "thats so good" may not be meant as a sexuality thing but at times it can hurt very badly

Jack, you are right for the students with power, but one that are hurt by your word choice sometimes can't help  themselves.  It is up to strong ones to change.