Dear Death | Teen Ink

Dear Death

By Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Dear Death,

Can you understand love? I seriously doubt that you can; because, if you could, you would have looked into my mother’s eyes when she had turned around to smile at me in the car that day. You would have seen what I had seen: the affection glowing in her hazel gaze and the joy that flitted across her lips. That blissful moment before terror.

You witnessed that love shining like a headlight in our midst, yet still you made our car swerve off the road. And you wrenched my mom and dad from life’s embrace. My embrace, even though I thought I was holding on tightly enough. Why did you take them cruelly in your arms, and stalk past my brother and I? We were in the car too! I’d rather be walking hand in hand with them (wherever you took them after that day) than be left in the dust of life.

When I woke up in the hospital the next obscure morning, white-coated figures told me that they were gone. Through my tears, I made a solemn vow. It was a vow to hate you for the rest of my life. Mom and Dad, gone? You don’t understand love.

Your newest enemy,
Rose

Dear Death,

It’s been a year since I last wrote you, and I have already broken my vow. You took Grandpa yesterday, but he was different. I loved Grandpa in a way that would bring tears to anybody’s eyes. He used to tell me fantasy stories, swearing that they were real. I’d say, “you’re crazy, Grandpa!” He would look really serious and say, “What? You think I’m crazy?” then smile and wink: “maybe a little bit.” He warmed my heart so much.

Cancer, supposedly, was the murderer. But I recognized your aura in the hospital when he called me in to talk. He told me that everything was okay, giving me a smile that I had come to know as my friend. He told me that everything was all right, that there was nothing to fear from you, that he was just moving on, that I would see him in time. His words consoled me, but I cried as he gave my hand a little squeeze. Then I saw his spirit floating like a veil out of the room. I could have sworn that it winked at me.

I broke my vow, because I forgive you.

With love,
Rose

Dear Death,

It has been four years since Grandpa died. My brother has had a really hard life (as have I, for that matter). I had often seen him in his room praying, with tears in his eyes, before he left home to get a job. I guess no one answered his prayers, because I was told this morning that he was found dead after having jumped from his apartment building. This time, I shed no tears. I am beyond that now, even though my big brother is gone.

Before Grandpa called me to his sickbed, I heard him saying to my brother with a smile “teach Rose all that you know after I’m gone.” He has done so, because I’m looking at the noose that I have tied for myself, a foot in front of me. I’m almost ready to walk into your arms, just like my family. Now I have just stepped up onto the chair…

I don’t know how these letters will reach you, but I hope they do.

I want you to see what you have done.

See you soon,
Rose

Dear Rose,

I want you to know that I have read and reread your letters; they were very beautiful. Silver tears line my worn face as I watch you swing slowly like a pendulum from the rope. I also want you to know this: I’m so sorry. But your brother, he had jumped; somebody had to catch him. But I know you loved him. Your grandpa, he shook my hand as I helped him from his deathbed; he knew that it was all okay. And I know that you loved him. As for your parents, I did see that look in your mother’s eyes; and I’m so sorry that she and your father had to leave with me. I know that you loved them. But I am the deliverer; some people must be left behind as I take the others with me.

I remember your first words to me. To answer, I do understand love. I have seen so much, how could I not? But I’m glad you wrote to me and that you will be joining the ones that you care about. I look into your tranquil face and think: this is not the end, Rose.

Your friend,
Death

I'm sorry, did you read my comment below? Writing it, I didn't feel like I was criticizing you, nor did I express that I felt 'attacked.' Please read it, if you haven't. If you still feel insulted, then my deepest apologies. I only meant that Ellie returned the meaning to a story I was beginning to feel was worthless.

on Mar. 11 2012 at 9:31 am
Margaret252 SILVER, Thrichur, Other

why are you trying to fit in when you were made to stand out???

This is just so beautiful ..i mean i cant express how well you have expressed it..jst luvd it

Victor_Hagar SILVER, Dublin, Ohio

"It's always important to give your arguments impact." Fallout 3, Strength Bobble-head.

To The Silent Raven

I'm sorry if I've offended you. However, I don't think I attacked you. Why would you need a guardian angel if all I offer is advice? Are any of my statements wrong? Have I insulted you in any way? No, I'll stand firm. I spoke my mind, and my words are true. The only one that has been insulted is me.

"It doesn’t surprise me that you said few things you read on here evoke an emotional response, because if you haven’t actually experienced something, then empathy requires having an actual imagination. "

Alright, I know it's passive but c'mon. I'm just saying.

To Ellie,

After reading your firm and defensive comment, I found myself thinking: "Ah, my guardian angel!"

I cannot thank you enough for hearing my story, and understanding.

Hullo, brother! I owe you my appreciation for your detailed comment and constructive words; I am impressed you dedicated so much attention to an article you dislike so clearly. It's been a while since I visited this story, it's almost difficult to believe I wrote it... Much of what you said was true, I admit. But, looking back, I must also affirm that I would not change it in any way, nor would I wish to take it back. 'Dear Death' was something I wrote to respond to what I knew, or had read, or heard, of Death. It is, as you say, poorly, and a little blindly, written. But cannot a child's drawing be understood as a piece of art?

Honestly, I wish you wouldn't speak quite so harshly. What if I was to tell you that our Rose was a character based on someone I knew? Or myself? I can read from your tone that you are a superior writer, and I am happy for you, really! But 'Dear Death' is, or at least was, me. And I do not regret a word of it.

Now, then. We are both writers! I the lesser, you the greater; but we both break bread at the same altar: inspiration! So let us continue to do so. Many thanks again for your time, Victor, and peace be with you.

supertigerMMC GOLD, Milpitas, California

"I am leg." -Jengabin Nankfrlin

Wow! This was amazing! I love how you changed the mood and feeling from letter to letter until the final resolution! Every word can be felt, I find this hard to do, but you've mastered it! Awesome job and keep writing!

FULLSTOP GOLD said...
on Mar. 9 2012 at 8:57 am
FULLSTOP GOLD, Skipton, North Yorkshire, Other

forever and ever and ever and ever will never be enough

genny909

pice?

PEICEis the word

(i come iin PEACE btw)

Acastillo GOLD said...
Acastillo GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona

Just because you have flaws, doesn't mean you aren't beautiful ~Zayn Malik

Wow, it was really really good. I had tears in my eyes by the time I was done reading it. Please, keep writing:)

Amethyst.Mazarine BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Your writing is beautiful. I love how the mood changes through each of the letters, and you show a resolution at the end.

It is always wonderful to read something different. And this was. You could feel the emotions of the speaker with each word you wrote.

Keep writing, this was amazing.

justjosie PLATINUM, Scottsburg, Indiana

"Love a girl who writes,
and live her many lives;
you have yet to find her,
beneath her words of guise."

Never stop writing, this is beautiful and it almost made me cry. Continue writing m friend!

genny909 said...
on Mar. 7 2012 at 11:56 am
Omg! im currently in class Computer Application and this made me cry.. Listing to safe and sound by taylor Swift and reading thisd made me expload of tears. This is just incredible work. i commend you for writing such a beautiful pice!!!!!!!!!1

on Mar. 7 2012 at 12:53 am
MiiSs_AlySsA SILVER, Fall River, Massachusetts

"Your Hold On Me Is Pemeant And Unbreakable. Don't Forget That..."

"Oh yea, Burgers for the boys.." - Haha!! A friend

This brought tears to my eyes as i read this. This piece is so beatuifully written. You did such a great job! Keep up the great work!!! :')

ashleyn PLATINUM, Zeeland, Michigan

"Don't take life to seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyways"-Unknown

This is sooo good! I love your perspective and the letter idea and making Death seem like it's own character. I just love it. Good job and keep writing! (:

blwblw1 SILVER said...
blwblw1 SILVER, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

Reading takes you into a world far beyond your eyes can see.
and
L'amor Che More il Sole e L'altre Stelle

this made me cry! wonderful job!

MaryZann BRONZE, Rockwall, Texas
I really like the idea.

C.Michelle1295 SILVER, Denton, Texas

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it" -Marylin Monroe
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - phillipians 4:13

Death plays the bad guy in a lot of situations but you are right he is the deliverer. I believe that death is actually giving us the perfect eternal life if we trust the one that healed us and shed blood for us. Your poem has inspired me to write a new one. Thank you.

Lily_Reeds BRONZE, Portage, Wisconsin
This is so amazing. I had to stop reading because I was crying so hard! This is simply beautiful.

on Mar. 3 2012 at 7:35 am
sweetcaroline2339 GOLD, Staten Island, New York

"there's nothing interesting about being perfect."

AMAZING! I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes and shivers all over my body. Really creative idea, and perfectly executed! 

on Mar. 2 2012 at 10:12 am
Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan

"I've always been famous. It's just everybody's just now finding out." --Lady Gaga

I'm currently sitting in the computer lab at school and trying not to cry. This was an amazing piece! The ending was so sad...Very good. Keep writing!

. said...
Wow! That made me cry so much! Keep Writing Please!