It was an accident | Teen Ink

It was an accident

April 19, 2008
By Anonymous

The Blood-Red Car

They both stared at the young girl that lay before their feet.

Honestly, it was an accident…



***


It was a cold December night, with a cold December moon that hung in the sky, surrounded by glowing stars. Two teenaged boys stood in the middle of nowhere, arguing.

“You know nothing about racing! Terry Borcheller is the best racer!” the one with the blond hair said, puffing his cigarette, his breath turning into white smoke which stood out as much as his hair in the sparse light.

“Terry Borcheller is good, I’ll admit that! But he’s not the best driver out there! Mark Steins is!” the red head barked back, chugging his beer in one gulp.

“No! There’s no way Steins is the best! Borcheller is, Mike.”

“Listen Robin, you’re to slow to judge anything anyways!” Mike pat his friend on the back, trying to provoke him into racing. Mike put a hand to his face as the moonlight reflected off a red car that shined in his eyes. As Mike passed the blood-red car, he was unable to look away. It seemed uncanny how the car glowed in the midst of the night, Mark fought to look away and keep walking.

“I’m not going to race you. I established that already. You’re to drunk to walk in a straight line anyways. Lets start heading back, it’s getting cold out.” Robin shivered as he looked over at the road that they were walking. There were no cars in sight except for the vehicles that were parked in the driveways of people‘s homes. The night was silent, except for the eerie sound of the wind running through the branches of the trees and the footsteps that echoed into the night from the two boys who walked the street.

They both stared at the young girl that lay before their feet, a tire mark lay on her stomach as well as an indentation, her whole body streaked with blood.

Honestly, it was an accident….


Robin and Mike walked the road, silence erupting the night that would soon change their lives interminably.

Mike’s hands were itching for thievery, though the beer he had been drinking earlier had blocked out his common sense. It was thievery he wanted, and death that he had brought.
“I got to steal something!” Mike said aloud, as he stopped walking, Robin imitated him as he looked back at his friend.
“It’s late, we gotta get back home. I do at least.” Robin turned around and began to walk away.
“Are you scared, Robin? Go run home to your mommy! I don’t need you!” Mike taunted his friend into staying, nevertheless Robin was smarter then that, he wasn’t going to budge. Mike was already backtracking and looking for something he could steal.

“You go ahead and screw up your own life, I have better things to do.” Robin walked on. It was when he heard the sound of a car engine running that he cocked his head in the direction of the sound.

They both stared at the young girl that lay before their feet, a tire mark lay on her stomach as well as an indentation, her whole body streaked with blood, her eyes as blank and dead as her heart.

Honestly, it was an accident….


Robin turned around to see Mike sitting behind the wheel of a red car, the engine already on.

“Mike! What the-” the fifteen year old boy yelled, his eye brows narrowing as he mouthed a curse word, unable to get the word out of his mouth, that had suddenly gone dry.

“Stupid idiots! They left the keys in the ignition! Ha!” Mike laughed as he put the car in gear.

“Mike stop! You don’t know what you’re doing! You don’t know how to drive! You’re only fifteen! Listen to me! Please Mike!” Robin bellowed, trying to stop his friend from establishing an accident beyond forgiving, though just as hard headed as he was, Mike wasn’t going to budge either.

The car was soon out of the driveway and headed towards Robin.

“You’re going to kill me! Or someone! Please, stop the car!” Robin pleaded, as he moved in the nick of time from being rolled over by the car.

“Ha ha! Look at me! I’m a smooth driver, Robin! Whooo!” Mike yelled as he looked back at Robin.

The car was at least fifteen feet in front of Robin, and there was nothing he could do and nothing he could say that would stop his friend.

They both stared at the young girl that lay before their feet, a tire mark lay on her stomach as well as an indentation, her whole body streaked with blood, her eyes as blank and dead as her heart, drenched in a pool of her own blood, her face contorted in a sudden shock of death that had approached her faster then she thought, she was after all, only seven years old.

Honestly, it was an accident….


Robin watched in fear as his fifteen year old friend drove a car down the middle of a street were people in houses slept, unaware of what was occurring on the road and the danger that surrounded them.

Mike and Robin, nonetheless, were as clueless as to what was going on inside the houses:

Lucy sat in her bed, pondering what she should get her mother for her birthday. Her mother had told her not to get her anything, her love was all she needed. Nonetheless, Lucy wanted to give something to her mother to show her appreciation. Her mother’s birthday was tomorrow, so she needed to act fast. There were pinecones just across the street, and maybe she could make something out of it and give it to her mother for a present. Yes, she liked that idea.

Lucy put her Barbie shoes on as well as a coat that inflated her body and walked out the door. A sudden gust of wind chilled her as she rubbed her hands together for warmth. The night was dark as black, though the luminescence of the moon brightened the street. At first, she realized that the whole driveway was ice as it reflected the moonlight into her face. The road, she realized, had the same result. Just as long as she was careful, she wouldn’t trip on the ice…



The time was eleven thirty and darkness had blanketed the city in which Mike and Robin were in. The frost began to prick at Robin’s face as he shuddered from the bitterness. Robin wasn’t the slightest bit conscious of his body juddering from the coldness that surrounded him. He wasn’t even considering that he could get frostbite, for he could only think of stopping Mike.

Robin grew tired and sick of his friend making mistakes that involved him. Why should he have to stay around and get blamed for something his friend was doing? Mike can screw up his own life by himself, thought Robin

“I’m done with this! You go ahead and get killed for all I care!” Robin turned away from the car, starting to walk back home. Mike looked back at his friend, not noticing the young girl that was ten feet in front of him.


Lucy was halfway across the street when she suddenly slipped on a patch of ice that covered the road. Her eyes grew wide with fear as she saw lights of an approaching car.

“Go ahead! I don’t need you!” Mike shouted, as he finally looked forward and felt a bump in the road. Robin heard the sound of the crushing of bones and looked toward Mike. He saw something on the road, and Robin could just make out the figure of a small body lying in the middle of the street. Robin considered the body lying on the road, floating in its blood, was just an illusion. But reality soon struck him.
Robin grabbed his hair on his head and began to cry, his hands shaking, and it wasn’t from the cold .

“What did you do?!” Robin ran to Mike, as he stopped the car and got out, his face streaked with worried tears as he fell to his knees in sobs.

They both stared at the young girl that lay before their feet, a tire mark lay on her stomach as well as an indentation, her whole body streaked with blood, her eyes as blank and dead as her heart, drenched in a pool of her own blood, her face contorted in a sudden shock of death that had approached her faster then she thought, she was after all, only seven years old, the fault of the death wasn‘t of the blood-red car, the murderer was the one who knelt beside her dead body, wondering why he had provoked himself, wondering why he had killed his future and this young girl that lay before him.

Honestly, was it an accident?

"This will certify that the above work is completely original," Jillian Mismas