Dear Death | Teen Ink

Dear Death

By Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Dear Death,

Can you understand love? I seriously doubt that you can; because, if you could, you would have looked into my mother’s eyes when she had turned around to smile at me in the car that day. You would have seen what I had seen: the affection glowing in her hazel gaze and the joy that flitted across her lips. That blissful moment before terror.

You witnessed that love shining like a headlight in our midst, yet still you made our car swerve off the road. And you wrenched my mom and dad from life’s embrace. My embrace, even though I thought I was holding on tightly enough. Why did you take them cruelly in your arms, and stalk past my brother and I? We were in the car too! I’d rather be walking hand in hand with them (wherever you took them after that day) than be left in the dust of life.

When I woke up in the hospital the next obscure morning, white-coated figures told me that they were gone. Through my tears, I made a solemn vow. It was a vow to hate you for the rest of my life. Mom and Dad, gone? You don’t understand love.

Your newest enemy,
Rose

Dear Death,

It’s been a year since I last wrote you, and I have already broken my vow. You took Grandpa yesterday, but he was different. I loved Grandpa in a way that would bring tears to anybody’s eyes. He used to tell me fantasy stories, swearing that they were real. I’d say, “you’re crazy, Grandpa!” He would look really serious and say, “What? You think I’m crazy?” then smile and wink: “maybe a little bit.” He warmed my heart so much.

Cancer, supposedly, was the murderer. But I recognized your aura in the hospital when he called me in to talk. He told me that everything was okay, giving me a smile that I had come to know as my friend. He told me that everything was all right, that there was nothing to fear from you, that he was just moving on, that I would see him in time. His words consoled me, but I cried as he gave my hand a little squeeze. Then I saw his spirit floating like a veil out of the room. I could have sworn that it winked at me.

I broke my vow, because I forgive you.

With love,
Rose

Dear Death,

It has been four years since Grandpa died. My brother has had a really hard life (as have I, for that matter). I had often seen him in his room praying, with tears in his eyes, before he left home to get a job. I guess no one answered his prayers, because I was told this morning that he was found dead after having jumped from his apartment building. This time, I shed no tears. I am beyond that now, even though my big brother is gone.

Before Grandpa called me to his sickbed, I heard him saying to my brother with a smile “teach Rose all that you know after I’m gone.” He has done so, because I’m looking at the noose that I have tied for myself, a foot in front of me. I’m almost ready to walk into your arms, just like my family. Now I have just stepped up onto the chair…

I don’t know how these letters will reach you, but I hope they do.

I want you to see what you have done.

See you soon,
Rose

Dear Rose,

I want you to know that I have read and reread your letters; they were very beautiful. Silver tears line my worn face as I watch you swing slowly like a pendulum from the rope. I also want you to know this: I’m so sorry. But your brother, he had jumped; somebody had to catch him. But I know you loved him. Your grandpa, he shook my hand as I helped him from his deathbed; he knew that it was all okay. And I know that you loved him. As for your parents, I did see that look in your mother’s eyes; and I’m so sorry that she and your father had to leave with me. I know that you loved them. But I am the deliverer; some people must be left behind as I take the others with me.

I remember your first words to me. To answer, I do understand love. I have seen so much, how could I not? But I’m glad you wrote to me and that you will be joining the ones that you care about. I look into your tranquil face and think: this is not the end, Rose.

Your friend,
Death

SarahHarmon GOLD, Lawrenceville, New Jersey

"I have learned that people will forget what you did, people will forget what you said, but people will never forget how you made them feel." ~Maya Angelou

I cried soooo much reading this. It is beautifully written and I felt so much emotion in every sentence.

keepsmiling24 BRONZE, Fairfax Station, Virginia

"Whenever you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

That. was. so. amazing. So. very. amazing. :) 

Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

-There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (Shakespeare, Hamlet)

80 wow. this is incredibly well done. i loved it. It really makes me think. i always will think of suicide as a very selfish thing, but it's nice to think that there is somebody there to catch us, even if it is the somebody we fear most.

Pea6898 said...
Pea6898, Toledo, Ohio

Good friends are like stars, you don't always see them but you know there always there

This is a great story it brought tears to my eyes

SethP BRONZE said...
SethP BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
Even though death is a very emotional topic, it is often difficult to convey the strong emotions married to the passing away of family or friends. But, let me tell you, you captured this emotion better than any piece I have seen on this website. This is an incredibly powerful, poignant piece. Hopefully this was also therapeutic for you to write if it has any personal basis. Keep writing!

wind_andthe_rainy PLATINUM, San Francisco, California
Have you read The Book Theif by Markus Zusak? I think you would really enjoy it. Great job!

StillYoung said...
on Jun. 3 2012 at 11:28 am
StillYoung, Cavan, Other

be who you want to be, not who others expect you to be.

I know everyone says this, but I geniunely cried. Magnificent. Just.. I can't even describe it.

on Jun. 3 2012 at 6:27 am
fidgetyfrog GOLD, Panchkula, Other

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- Dr. Seuss

how. did. you. do. that.

amazing.

DanielM SILVER said...
DanielM SILVER, Kent, Washington

"I would rather hated million times for what i did then loved a million times for what i didn't do." - Daniel Moto
" I've sought out to be the best i could posibly be but when i hit a roadblock in life what did i do, i had two choices either stay at the roadblock or i take this roadblock and make of it and go around it and achieve my goal. So, what will it be?"- Daniel Mathia

"People take love like its a four letter word or just a phrase that you tell people or your friends all the time. But in reality love is much bigger than a merely phrase or 4 letter word. Instead love is a genuine promise or covenant to that special person."-Daniel Mathia

“Why change yourself when you were made perfect and wonderfully by the creator of everything?” – Daniel Mathia

“If live is not hurtin then were really not living in.” – B. Reith

i liked it alot. i can realte to this cause i've lost a lot of people in my life sadly. Awesome Job. On suggestion is maybe space them out a little bit more it was a little bit hard to read for me in terms of format. other than that awesome job!!

bluhs said...
bluhs, E, Alabama
This is a beautiful, creative, wonderful story. Love it! Thank you.

RainbowChild said...
RainbowChild, Svannah, Georgia

Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.
-John Fitzgerald Kennedy

I really liked this. It was really powerful. It made me cry. I lloved it.

AliceStuckInReality, South Orange, New Jersey

Prettiest eyes have cried most tears, prettiest smiles hide the deepest secrets, and kindest hearts have felt most pain.

Oh my God, this is excatly how I felt when I lost two of my best friends this year to death. Really beautiful. Keep writing!!

AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

"The winter I told you icicles are magic, you stole an enormous icicle from my neighbors shingle, and gave it to me as a gift, I kept it in my freezer for seven months. Love isn't always magic, sometimes it's melting." -Andrea Gibson

I'm not lieing when i say that teen.ink is lucky to have the work of writers like you. That wasn't different, that wasn't depressing, that wasn't anything words could explain.... Maybe in the very least it was beautiful, but that is still the least of words that could explain. Words except for yours.

When i read this i wanted to cry. Great job and i hope that your other work is as good as this because you can be sure of me reading it! :)

ShadowRealms said...
This was different, but I quite liked it. It was creative and sad, but also beautiful in a way. Nice job.

Express-- PLATINUM, River Vale, New Jersey

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

-John Lennon

Mostly good writing; this was something different, something i haven't seen yet on this cite. Very disturbing, but also creative. Good job.

-John Lennon

lamonte said...
lamonte, Sarasota, Florida

love isn't always what you need it's some times things you want

This story is emotion and sad but also the best one i read 

FunnyGal13 said...
FunnyGal13, Buford, Georgia

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours!"
"Even when you're falling on your face, you're still moving forward."

O my gosh! THAT WAS AMAZING!!:D i felt as if i was writing those letters to Death, it was a very good piece. The way you decirbed what death has done to so many people, it's a sad yet touching story. you have an amazing talent!!! keep writing:)

This is one of the best stories that I've ever read. It's so sad but touching at the same time, and just completely puts the reader into the narrator's mind. I hope that you write more!

GeeGi BRONZE said...
GeeGi BRONZE, Park City, Utah

“Being crazy isn't enough.”
― Dr. Seuss

“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
― Dr. Seuss

This is about the third time that I've read this and I love it each time more and more. No wonder it's been on the front page so long! If you don't mind, could you rate and comment my article? I would be very greatful if anyone did.