Dear Death | Teen Ink

Dear Death

August 11, 2010
By Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
40 articles 2 photos 1632 comments

Favorite Quote:
"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran


Dear Death,


Can you understand love? I seriously doubt that you can; because, if you could, you would have looked into my mother’s eyes when she had turned around to smile at me in the car that day. You would have seen what I had seen: the affection glowing in her hazel gaze and the joy that flitted across her lips. That blissful moment before terror.

You witnessed that love shining like a headlight in our midst, yet still you made our car swerve off the road. And you wrenched my mom and dad from life’s embrace. My embrace, even though I thought I was holding on tightly enough. Why did you take them cruelly in your arms, and stalk past my brother and I? We were in the car too! I’d rather be walking hand in hand with them (wherever you took them after that day) than be left in the dust of life.

When I woke up in the hospital the next obscure morning, white-coated figures told me that they were gone. Through my tears, I made a solemn vow. It was a vow to hate you for the rest of my life. Mom and Dad, gone? You don’t understand love.

Your newest enemy,
Rose

Dear Death,



It’s been a year since I last wrote you, and I have already broken my vow. You took Grandpa yesterday, but he was different. I loved Grandpa in a way that would bring tears to anybody’s eyes. He used to tell me fantasy stories, swearing that they were real. I’d say, “you’re crazy, Grandpa!” He would look really serious and say, “What? You think I’m crazy?” then smile and wink: “maybe a little bit.” He warmed my heart so much.

Cancer, supposedly, was the murderer. But I recognized your aura in the hospital when he called me in to talk. He told me that everything was okay, giving me a smile that I had come to know as my friend. He told me that everything was all right, that there was nothing to fear from you, that he was just moving on, that I would see him in time. His words consoled me, but I cried as he gave my hand a little squeeze. Then I saw his spirit floating like a veil out of the room. I could have sworn that it winked at me.

I broke my vow, because I forgive you.

With love,
Rose

Dear Death,



It has been four years since Grandpa died. My brother has had a really hard life (as have I, for that matter). I had often seen him in his room praying, with tears in his eyes, before he left home to get a job. I guess no one answered his prayers, because I was told this morning that he was found dead after having jumped from his apartment building. This time, I shed no tears. I am beyond that now, even though my big brother is gone.

Before Grandpa called me to his sickbed, I heard him saying to my brother with a smile “teach Rose all that you know after I’m gone.” He has done so, because I’m looking at the noose that I have tied for myself, a foot in front of me. I’m almost ready to walk into your arms, just like my family. Now I have just stepped up onto the chair…

I don’t know how these letters will reach you, but I hope they do.

I want you to see what you have done.




See you soon,
Rose

Dear Rose,


I want you to know that I have read and reread your letters; they were very beautiful. Silver tears line my worn face as I watch you swing slowly like a pendulum from the rope. I also want you to know this: I’m so sorry. But your brother, he had jumped; somebody had to catch him. But I know you loved him. Your grandpa, he shook my hand as I helped him from his deathbed; he knew that it was all okay. And I know that you loved him. As for your parents, I did see that look in your mother’s eyes; and I’m so sorry that she and your father had to leave with me. I know that you loved them. But I am the deliverer; some people must be left behind as I take the others with me.

I remember your first words to me. To answer, I do understand love. I have seen so much, how could I not? But I’m glad you wrote to me and that you will be joining the ones that you care about. I look into your tranquil face and think: this is not the end, Rose.

Your friend,
Death



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 239 comments.


Laur594 GOLD said...
on Mar. 20 2012 at 9:20 am
Laur594 GOLD, Poughkeepise, New York
10 articles 0 photos 1 comment
This is magnificent. I could feel myself being the person writing the letter. I completely love this. 

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Mar. 19 2012 at 9:07 pm
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments
I agree with An-eloquent-leaf.  Rose is Rose.  Not all stories must be optimistic as life is cruel itself.  Actually, I find the idea of writing letters is quite interesting and I don't find it too long. I know there's some stories with letter format only.  It depends.  However, I still understand why Ghrenqi thinks like that.  The stories should carry messages that encourage people to face problems instead of hurting or killing themselves.  Staying strong is  a very good storyline.  On the contrary, the author's story is kind of depressing.  I do not agree with how the story is not"upbeat" but I agree that the story can be optimistic or pessimistic.  It's just the way you see life.

leafy said...
on Mar. 19 2012 at 4:59 pm
leafy, City, Other
0 articles 0 photos 682 comments

Favorite Quote:
Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

I know, right? Raven definitely deserves this recognition. I mean, ever since the new TI format came about (which has been at least a month, probably more), this piece has been on the front page!

on Mar. 19 2012 at 4:53 pm
IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah
44 articles 16 photos 2206 comments

Favorite Quote:
Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Will it let me comment now? 

I think it will.

Raven, I was, and still am, incredibly happy at the recognition this piece is getting, so I am commenting again to congratulate you, my very dear friend. The fact that this piece is still on the front page of teenink gives me immense joy <3

 


on Mar. 19 2012 at 4:42 pm
writers_revenge BRONZE, Newport News, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
I think that I'm so psychotic and so mentally ill that if I could tap into that I could do something really interesting.
Megan Fox

That was beautiful. I wanted to cry when i read it.

on Mar. 18 2012 at 9:43 pm
star-gazing-dreamer GOLD, Pittsgrove, New Jersey
11 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everywhere I have sought rest and not found it,
except sitting in a corner by myself with a little book.
~ Thomas Kempis ~

This seriously made me want to cry. (i didn't but i wanted to) it was really good. i wasn't really expecting for her to do that. so sad. But i love the way you write

on Mar. 18 2012 at 8:46 pm
cupcakes_rock, Virginia Beach, Virginia
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
So amazing! But how does death communicate with tr living and stuff? Was she already dead when he wrote it?

IsaiF GOLD said...
on Mar. 18 2012 at 4:39 pm
IsaiF GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
17 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.” -Kurt Vonnegut

This was so beautiful, and in a way it added to suspence as you went along with each letter, wondering how the overall story was going to end. It was tragic but it was such a beautiful tragedy. Keep up the good work. 

We-R-3 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 18 2012 at 9:13 am
We-R-3 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
1 article 0 photos 344 comments

Favorite Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words, however it takes a real artist to turn words into pictures.

Have you heard about the new Lebron Iphone, you have to set it on vibrate because it doesn't have any rings

Wow. As a fan of darker pieces I am slightly impartial to this one. But even ignoring that, this was still amazing. Looking at the sorrow in each of these letters is like looking straight into Rose's eyes. I can see the pain and frustration, even without you going into full detail. Which is another thing, with these letters it could have very easily gotten to the point where they were just to much and completely unreadable. You gave Rose a cool and almost disconnected persona towards  her last letter and I think you can contrast it by maybe seeing the brother's letters to Death. I'd love to read it if you do.

 

Great, great job

 

Will


We-R-3 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 18 2012 at 9:12 am
We-R-3 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
1 article 0 photos 344 comments

Favorite Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words, however it takes a real artist to turn words into pictures.

Have you heard about the new Lebron Iphone, you have to set it on vibrate because it doesn't have any rings

Wow. As a fan of darker pieces I am slightly impartial to this one. But even ignoring that, this was still amazing. Looking at the sorrow in each of these letters is like looking straight into Rose's eyes. I can see the pain and frustration, even without you going into full detail. Which is another thing, with these letters it could have very easily gotten to the point where they were just to much and completely unreadable. You gave Rose a cool and almost disconnected persona toards  her last letter and I think you can contrast it by maybe seeing the brother's letters to Death. I'd love to read it if you do.

 

Great, great job

 

Will


on Mar. 18 2012 at 1:54 am
writing-is-write SILVER, Beverly Hills, California
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Where there's a will there's a way"
"Imagination is more important then knoledge"

This is amazing <3 You have inspired me to write my own in this format. This is one of the best death poems i have ever read, keep writing, i love this piece of work a lot! 

leafy said...
on Mar. 17 2012 at 8:17 pm
leafy, City, Other
0 articles 0 photos 682 comments

Favorite Quote:
Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

About the name: it's called irony. Just sayin'. Also, telling an author to make their piece to be "more upbeat" is just plain silly- I'm not even gonna get into that, for your sake. Lastly, different people have different way of dealing with death. Remember, Rose is Rose, not you.

on Mar. 16 2012 at 2:06 pm
Distant_Freedom DIAMOND, Nowhere, Pennsylvania
50 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Wow. I can't believe I just read that. What was that? Why would anyone write letters to Death, and then kill themself when they lost their family? And why would Death write back? Death understands love, but he still must take the people we love in order to alleviate their suffering. Try writing something more upbeat. There is just too many articles and other things about death and sorrow. Try being more cheerful. The name of the person who writes to Death just contradicts itself. Rose is such a joyful name, and you had her killed. If my family had passed away, I would have become stronger because of it. I wouldn't have killed myself. I know you probably won't be reading this, but I had to write this. People need to realize that there are so many other ways out of a situation other than killing yourself or hurting yourself.

on Mar. 16 2012 at 1:38 pm
Hi i love your writing it's so awsome. i love what you said. What should i do about my cutting?

Dayja BRONZE said...
on Mar. 16 2012 at 12:19 pm
Dayja BRONZE, New Bedford, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
" There is nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home" - Sixx AM

I really liked this it made me really intrigued. Good job! :)

on Mar. 15 2012 at 4:46 pm
Artemis--Sherwood GOLD, Hemet, California
16 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We're all stories in the end."

Wow... I actually got a few tears in my eyes with those last two letters. Can I please have your fantastic writing skills?

-Artemis


Figue said...
on Mar. 13 2012 at 6:20 pm
I am so glad someone else feels the way I do, Victor. I didn't feel any emotional response whatsoever when reading this, and I honestly don't think it's well-written either. It's overwrought, overdone, and trite; it attempts to be raw and emotional and ultimately falls short of the feat. I truly don't understand how people could have cried while reading this.

on Mar. 12 2012 at 7:34 pm
Victor_Hagar SILVER, Dublin, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's always important to give your arguments impact." Fallout 3, Strength Bobble-head.

Bro are you serious? Piece is the word. But not really; Bird is the word.

LitaSoto GOLD said...
on Mar. 12 2012 at 7:23 pm
LitaSoto GOLD, Charlotte, North Carolina
11 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
'Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all"
"All is fair in love and war."

This was wonderful! A tear came to my eye. Great work.

on Mar. 11 2012 at 2:37 pm

Hello, friend. Let me just say that I find it very responsible and generous of you to, as you say, "bring to light" that which you believed would benefit me. I hope you understand that I would never willingly encourage 'dangerous' messages, and I am glad you pointed out what you read in the story. It is to the God in you that I speak when I note, my thanks for your gentle concern.

'Dear Death' is told by a young child; hence the rudimentary personification. What I seek to convey through her character is not that death is "an entity worth evaluating," but that a human being's response to death is entirely valuable to explore; it is profound, constantly changing, and telling of who we are at our core. Do you see?

I am among the last to say that suicide begins a "happily ever after." But I am also the last to blame a victim of suicide for what they have done, knowing that life is tough and some feel they have no choice but to escape it. I know we can stand together to regret that. One point where I seriously disagree with you is when you say that "she and her brother would still remain worlds away from their parents." In time, they will join their parents at the side of a loving God.

Seeing that you are a faithful person, I ask you: is Death really something to be feared, or despised? For we knew that, through Christ, there is Life in Death; so what is there to mistrust?

I am grateful for your comment, and apologize for my lengthy response.