Dear Death | Teen Ink

Dear Death

August 11, 2010
By Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
40 articles 2 photos 1632 comments

Favorite Quote:
"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran


Dear Death,


Can you understand love? I seriously doubt that you can; because, if you could, you would have looked into my mother’s eyes when she had turned around to smile at me in the car that day. You would have seen what I had seen: the affection glowing in her hazel gaze and the joy that flitted across her lips. That blissful moment before terror.

You witnessed that love shining like a headlight in our midst, yet still you made our car swerve off the road. And you wrenched my mom and dad from life’s embrace. My embrace, even though I thought I was holding on tightly enough. Why did you take them cruelly in your arms, and stalk past my brother and I? We were in the car too! I’d rather be walking hand in hand with them (wherever you took them after that day) than be left in the dust of life.

When I woke up in the hospital the next obscure morning, white-coated figures told me that they were gone. Through my tears, I made a solemn vow. It was a vow to hate you for the rest of my life. Mom and Dad, gone? You don’t understand love.

Your newest enemy,
Rose

Dear Death,



It’s been a year since I last wrote you, and I have already broken my vow. You took Grandpa yesterday, but he was different. I loved Grandpa in a way that would bring tears to anybody’s eyes. He used to tell me fantasy stories, swearing that they were real. I’d say, “you’re crazy, Grandpa!” He would look really serious and say, “What? You think I’m crazy?” then smile and wink: “maybe a little bit.” He warmed my heart so much.

Cancer, supposedly, was the murderer. But I recognized your aura in the hospital when he called me in to talk. He told me that everything was okay, giving me a smile that I had come to know as my friend. He told me that everything was all right, that there was nothing to fear from you, that he was just moving on, that I would see him in time. His words consoled me, but I cried as he gave my hand a little squeeze. Then I saw his spirit floating like a veil out of the room. I could have sworn that it winked at me.

I broke my vow, because I forgive you.

With love,
Rose

Dear Death,



It has been four years since Grandpa died. My brother has had a really hard life (as have I, for that matter). I had often seen him in his room praying, with tears in his eyes, before he left home to get a job. I guess no one answered his prayers, because I was told this morning that he was found dead after having jumped from his apartment building. This time, I shed no tears. I am beyond that now, even though my big brother is gone.

Before Grandpa called me to his sickbed, I heard him saying to my brother with a smile “teach Rose all that you know after I’m gone.” He has done so, because I’m looking at the noose that I have tied for myself, a foot in front of me. I’m almost ready to walk into your arms, just like my family. Now I have just stepped up onto the chair…

I don’t know how these letters will reach you, but I hope they do.

I want you to see what you have done.




See you soon,
Rose

Dear Rose,


I want you to know that I have read and reread your letters; they were very beautiful. Silver tears line my worn face as I watch you swing slowly like a pendulum from the rope. I also want you to know this: I’m so sorry. But your brother, he had jumped; somebody had to catch him. But I know you loved him. Your grandpa, he shook my hand as I helped him from his deathbed; he knew that it was all okay. And I know that you loved him. As for your parents, I did see that look in your mother’s eyes; and I’m so sorry that she and your father had to leave with me. I know that you loved them. But I am the deliverer; some people must be left behind as I take the others with me.

I remember your first words to me. To answer, I do understand love. I have seen so much, how could I not? But I’m glad you wrote to me and that you will be joining the ones that you care about. I look into your tranquil face and think: this is not the end, Rose.

Your friend,
Death



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 239 comments.


on Mar. 28 2012 at 3:38 pm
DarkAngelNyx GOLD, Napoleon, Michigan
12 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H. P. Lovecraft

This is stunning. I'm almost at a loss of words, I had chills the entire time I was reading this. I love it.

kyrireese GOLD said...
on Mar. 28 2012 at 2:16 pm
kyrireese GOLD, Dallas, Texas
17 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything will absolutely be all right."
"Hold fast to dreams." - Langston Hughes

Very peculiar. I didn't really like the overall theme. But I enjoyed reading it nonetheless.

on Mar. 27 2012 at 11:47 pm
AlaskaGirl GOLD, Klawock, Alaska
11 articles 4 photos 147 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Screw the shining armor. I will take my man in dirty camo any day"

Oh my goodness... I'm sitting here crying. That is so sad and really good. 

LivvyGirl said...
on Mar. 27 2012 at 7:04 pm
This was amazing. Amazing description!! Great Job. Im so sorry about these things you've had to experience.

on Mar. 27 2012 at 9:25 am
tracingxconstellations SILVER, Mechanicsville, Maryland
5 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

This is beyond amazing. I couldn't take my eyes off of it while reading. Kudos to you, keep writing.

on Mar. 26 2012 at 6:44 pm
africanqueen BRONZE, St. Kitts, Other
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
*BONUS* Wassup

I love this artticle, it brought my attention into wanting to read more. I feel like you chose a right topic to write on, death. I myself don't like to see death, but it happens.

klm24 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 24 2012 at 4:45 pm
klm24 BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"To the world you might be just someone, but to someone you might be the world"

Absoultely amazing. 

leafy said...
on Mar. 23 2012 at 9:07 pm
leafy, City, Other
0 articles 0 photos 682 comments

Favorite Quote:
Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

You, Feathery Bard, the lesser? I'm sorry- I don't mean to offend you, Victor -but quite honestly, our Raven is once again being too modest. I cannot tell I lie, I believe you, Raven, to be one of the best authors on Teen Ink. Victor, if you disagree with me, then fine- but I suggest you read some of our mute Raven's other works before you execute your judgement. On another note, while I am short on time and don't have the minutes to delve into the details on how much I disagree with your overhead comment, there was one issue with the post that I just could not overlook: you describing how this piece is just to "poetic." While your thoughts may not be lush with rhythmical and romantic, per se, (you are a creator of prose, I presume?) this fact does not mean there is no one who does- because there are, and who knows, maybe Rose was one of these people?

Calo anor na ven

on Mar. 23 2012 at 10:18 am
bluefadoodle SILVER, Mitchell, South Dakota
8 articles 3 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
poptarts are pathetic

That was very moving and deep was it true? Just wondering, you are a wonderful writer don't stop bye.

FULLSTOP GOLD said...
on Mar. 23 2012 at 5:42 am
FULLSTOP GOLD, Skipton, North Yorkshire, Other
13 articles 7 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
forever and ever and ever and ever will never be enough

It depends... peice of something or peace???? ha. ha.

FULLSTOP GOLD said...
on Mar. 23 2012 at 5:40 am
FULLSTOP GOLD, Skipton, North Yorkshire, Other
13 articles 7 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
forever and ever and ever and ever will never be enough

Cookiemonster1997

GO GET COUNSELLING NOW.


FULLSTOP GOLD said...
on Mar. 23 2012 at 5:39 am
FULLSTOP GOLD, Skipton, North Yorkshire, Other
13 articles 7 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
forever and ever and ever and ever will never be enough

Well said (@ An-eloquent-leaf)

 Ghrenqi's comment was just stupid in my opinion


Ravenne said...
on Mar. 23 2012 at 3:13 am
Ravenne, San Diego, California
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments
I loved the process the character went through!!! However... after the first letter, the emotion was lost. Some of the details that were shared seemed forced, and I disliked the coldness with which the character accepts her brother's death. the last letter was very unnecessary - death should have remained a symbol. The first letter was indeed stunning- or at least the beginning of it. Again, some of the lines do not 'go all the way', therefore sound unreal. 

on Mar. 23 2012 at 1:12 am
TanazMasaba GOLD, Dhaka, Other
16 articles 10 photos 214 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's Heaven on Earth."













---William W. Purkey

This was an extremely good piece of writing...kinda wierd in a sense if you look at it that way, but I can't help but like the way you dared to share something original and unique..two thumbs up! :)

. said...
on Mar. 22 2012 at 10:10 pm
I loved this so much i almost started crying it wasso good please never stop writing because th world would have been ripped off if it didnt have the beauty your writing gives to it

FULLSTOP GOLD said...
on Mar. 22 2012 at 9:31 am
FULLSTOP GOLD, Skipton, North Yorkshire, Other
13 articles 7 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
forever and ever and ever and ever will never be enough

yes she was dead when death wrote his letter because it says he can see her swinging like a pendulum

on Mar. 22 2012 at 9:28 am
Renegade9891 BRONZE, Skipton, Other
1 article 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Keep calm and use your powers of reason."
"Get bored and shoot the wall."
"Ideas are like buses, they never come when you need them to."

Hello!

I love your work. What an original idea, you can imagine how Rose feels! What an amazing touch to gothic short stories.


on Mar. 21 2012 at 11:26 am
Celeste_N. SILVER, Balch Springs, Texas
8 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
Your just mad that your not a rainbow unicorn with ninja monkeys that can talk to gummy bears(:

AWESOME!!! I loved it all!!! PLEASE READ MY ARTICLES AND COMMENT ON THEM?!?!?

15cmm BRONZE said...
on Mar. 20 2012 at 8:25 pm
15cmm BRONZE, Polk City, Iowa
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
C'est la vie

This is... amazing. I have no other words to describe it. Nothing I can say seems to do it justice. Amazing to say the least.

on Mar. 20 2012 at 2:26 pm
writer3499 GOLD, New Bedford, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 196 comments

Favorite Quote:
"it's impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might has well not have lived at all-in which case you fail by default."
-J.K.Rowling

WOW!! This is beautiful. The way you worded the whole story was amazing! I felt like you were talking to me in the letters. Even though it was sad it was beautiful! This is my favorite peicethat I have read in TeenInk!!! WOW I love this alot!