Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice | Teen Ink

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

September 6, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice introduces Batman to the DC extended universe and showcases Batman and Superman, in what most hoped to be a clash for the ages. Nearly two years after Superman collided with General Zod, Bruce Wayne soon ponders on whether or not Superman is a good guy. The city of Metropolis is trampled over, the alien is clearly powerful and could take over if he wanted to, and the collateral damage left over causes many to be angry. Because Bruce Wayne is an eccentric billionaire who believes that he should do everything in his power to help those in need, which is a result of parents' murder, Batman embarks on a journey to end the life of the Man of Steel. Meanwhile, the politically powerful Lex Luthor tries to wreck some mayhem of his very own. 


As of 2018, it's been two years since the movie came out, and as time has gone on, the more lackluster this movie feels. People were hoping for one of the most exciting, intense movies of all time that would showcase clashes between two of the most superheroes of all time. However, most of the movie isn't actually a fight between Superman and Batman, like the name suggests, but instead the film acts as a tool that does its best to explain and introduce new ideas and characters to the DC movie universe. Even though Batman and Superman are two of the most popular superheroes in the entire world, and introducing them to audiences and making viewers fall in love with them should've been easy, Zac Snyder, the director, gives us a dark, gritty movie that is way too depressing. The movie desperately needs a few jokes to lighten up the mood, and the entire movie just feels grim and not in a good way. The plot is cluttered and parts of the movie make zero sense whatsoever, but the new Batman introduced is an interesting take on the character. The villain in the movie really isn't that inspiring and that's a complete shame. Lex Luthor is supposed to be one of the most threatening super villains in the history of comics and be able to go toe-to-toe with the Man of Steel, himself, but the movie doesn't show off any of this. Second of all, the twist at the end of the movie isn't nearly as scarring, amazing, or as powerful as the creators intended for it to be. Instead of developing characters over time, DC absolutely rushed through with this one and tried to do way too much-a formula for failure. 


 To make matters worse, the failures of this movie are made even more prominent by the recent film successes the Marvel cinematic universe has had. While DC failed to make a great movie with two of the most famous heroes in the history of the world, Marvel has made excellent movies out of Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther, which stars two lesser known superheroes, but because of their success, more and more people are beginning to fall in love with these characters. With all of that said, there a few high points, like when Superman and Batman are on the same screen, but, overall, the movie just can't be the movie of the year, like everyone was expecting. 

 Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice is a disappointment, to say the least, and just simply tries to do everything, while it doesn't quite accomplish anything. In fact, the movie is over three hours long and most critics bashed this film. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a poor 27%, and Metacritic gave the film a 44%. It's a shame that this titanic clash between two of comic books' oldest superheroes failed to be a great movie. There was so much potential but to no alas. 


The author's comments:

As of 2018, it's been two years since the movie came out, and as time has gone on, the more lackluster this movie feels. People were hoping for one of the most exciting, intense movies of all time that would showcase clashes between two of the most superheroes of all time. Instead, they just feel disappointment.