The Illusionist | Teen Ink

The Illusionist

December 20, 2007
By Anonymous

Everyone is fascinated by magic. Some people even believe it’s real. Most magic is really illusions. Nevertheless, it’s magic all the same. Produced by the Yari Film group and based on the short story “Eisenheim the Illusionist,” The Illusionist captures the minds of millions and shows just how powerful one man can be with a little imagination.

As a boy, Eisenheim (Edward Norton) meets a traveling magician by chance and is inspired to lean the art of illusions. He falls in love with Sophie (Jessica Biel) a duchess, but as she is in a higher social class, their love is forbidden. Ignoring that fact, they find a way to be together, but before running away, they are found out and are separated. Defeated, Eisenheim leaves to travel the world.

Years later, he reappears in Vienna to do a show and meets Sophie again when she is volunteered to be his assistant. They rekindle their childhood relationship even though she is to marry Crown Prince Leopold (Rufus Sewell). Soon the city’s chief inspector (Paul Giamatti) is investigating a shocking and devastating crime and Eisenheim is preparing a whole new kind of show.

The Illusionist is a mystery movie mixed with a little suspense, romance. And a surprising twist at the end. The actors are brilliant, and the enchanting music brings everything to life. Audiences will be captured by the spellbinding plot. I invite you to witness Eisenheim’s greatest illusion yet, but I know you’ll have trouble remembering “Everything you have seen is an illusion.”