Swagger by Carl Deuker | Teen Ink

Swagger by Carl Deuker

December 4, 2015
By big_d BRONZE, Thortan, Colorado
big_d BRONZE, Thortan, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


Most kids in the present think they have “Swagger” whether it's on the court, on the field, how they act, or  how they dress. This book is really interesting for people that are active or into sports, even if it’s football or basketball. Swagger is written by Carl Deuker, and all of Carl’s book are about sports. For example, there’s one called Payback Time, which is about a football team that gets beat in the state championship, so they come back to beat the other team. Carl Deuker is a good author because all he writes is about sports and I’m into sports, especially football and basketball.
This book is relatable because it is about a kid who loves basketball but doesn’t have the best grades, and he’s trying to get a scholarship to a college in Maine. I can relate to this because I love basketball, but my grades are terrible, and now i'm trying to get them up to be eligible for basketball. Another example is a lot of kids went out for the team this year, but didn’t make it because of their grades.
Anybody would want to read this book because it's really interesting, and almost like a biography, but people who are into basketball or sports in general would like to read this book more than someone who doesn’t like sports. So I would recommend this book to the readers who like sports because it's an easy read and all about sports. People would want to read this because of how relatable it is.
The author uses a lot of detail. For example when the dad loses his job, and it says everybody is blue, and you picture it in black and white. Another one is when Jonas describes Levi’s house it it kind it seems like he lives in a box.