<i>Yes, Please</i> by Amy Poehler | Teen Ink

Yes, Please by Amy Poehler MAG

By scmieczkow17 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
scmieczkow17 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Amy Poehler explains the intricate and complex balance between when to be funny and when to be serious and how the consequences of not completely understanding this has shaped her as a person and a comedian. She describes her rise to fame in the comedy world from her days doing improv all the way up to her time starring on “Saturday Night Live” and “Parks and Recreation.”

Poehler doesn’t fail to give her hilarious perspective on life as she also incorporates meaning and feeling. She takes the little moments in life and puts meaning into them, showing us how those experiences helped make her who she is today. Unfortunately, these often are over-explanations that cause the chapters to drone on a bit. However, the ideas in Yes, Please reflect excitement, humor, and a positive outlook.

“Your ability to navigate and tolerate change and its painful uncomfortableness directly correlates to your happiness and general well-being. See what I just did there? I saved you thousands of dollars on self-help books. If you can surf your life rather than plant your feet, you will be happier.” Through her light prose, Poehler simultaneously reflects on her experiences and how they changed her while giving the reader insightful advice balanced with all the humor you would expect. Stylistically, the author has a unique voice that adds to the overall engagement.

I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars because, despite how funny and insightful it is, certain parts were over-explained, which stalled the flow. I highly recommend Yes, Please to any die-hard fan of Amy Poehler, or even casual admirers. It’s best for a slightly older audience because of some mature topics. Overall, I really enjoyed the book and constantly found myself laughing and learning.