Peace Like A River | Teen Ink

Peace Like A River

Peace Like A River Book Review

320 pages

Author: Lief Enger
Publisher: Atlantic Monthly Press

Copyright: 2001

If you like a family person who is close to God, you will love the character of Jeremiah Land in this quest of a novel, based in the early 1960s. Jeremiah is the father of 11 year old asthmatic boy named Reuben. In the story, Reuben and his family must set out on a journey to search for 17-year-old, Davy, Reuben's older brother. Davy, who has murdered two men, escaped from jail and is now on the run in the northern United States. Miracles await you in this solid novel of adventure and religion.

I thought that this book was average through the first 300 pages. I liked it because Reuben has a good sense of humor and seems to never give up on finding his brother. I did not like how many references there where to the Bible. It seemed like the story had to pause every once in a while so Enger could pop a Bible verse in there. Overall, I think this book will be liked be some, but discarded early by others, which is sad because Enger leaves you with a brilliant ending that wll really pump your heart to the max.

HoppingPanda BRONZE, Sterling, Virginia
I agree that the ending of the book was a shocker and I liked the ending as well.  Personally, I loved every page of the book and enjoyed having been given the experience to read the book.