Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card | Teen Ink

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

By Cheydon Kawaauhau BRONZE, KEAAU, Hawaii
Cheydon Kawaauhau BRONZE, KEAAU, Hawaii

Ender’s Game Book Report

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card has similarities and differences from the movie. In the book Ender was around 6 when the book started then in the movie Ender was at least 12 or 13. When the movie begins it jumps straight into the buggers attacking the earth. The book at least had some dialogue before they introduced the buggers. All the characters have aged, grown or got shorter in the movie. The movie has taken out parts that would have made the movie bloodier. They took out many things like Ender breaking Bernard’s arm in the shuttle. This scene would have been very graphic and I agree that they should have taken it out. But when Alai kissed Ender that could have been in the movie. The kiss was on the cheek and it meant thanks and good luck. Did they think the scene would spark some hate comments and drop ratings, I still think that this scene should’ve been in the movie. The director did make a good call by taking out peter and valentine pretending to be adults that want to gain control. This part was very confusing and shouldn’t have been in the book but that’s just my opinion. The last scene that they took out to keep the movie pg-13 was when Ender and his army were finished practice and the older kids attacked him. Yes he might have taken off someone’s ear I still think that this part should have been in the movie. It expressed that Ender has changed and will do anything to keep him and his team safe.

Ender was called up to salamander army were he was bullied by Bonzo who is the commander and in the movie you expect Bonzo to be tall but instead he has to pull Ender down to even get face to face with him. They only included a couple of battles in the movie while in the book there was at least 20 I see why you have to cut some of the battles but at least try to put something that can fill us in on what happened in each battle. Valentine being in the mind game made a lot of people say that the director didn’t even read the book. She enters while Ender’s avatar was being shot at while in the book he wasn’t even getting shot at in the book. Later on Ender gets called to go to Command school and while he was there Ender was going crazy and almost couldn’t stand it anymore. When they introduced Mazer Rackham it was very similar but when the simulations happened it really departed from the book. They also didn’t tranquilize Ender in the book instead he went to his room and slept. In the book there was no queen in the cave there was only a cocoon. Also why didn’t Ender take Valentine with him like in the book when He was trying to find the cocoon a new planet to live on. I don’t understand a lot of these changes but I do get that they need to cut down movies so there aren’t 6 hours long. The one thing that upset me the most was that they didn’t mention Peter and Valentine that much in the movie but in the book there was a whole chapter about them.

Although the movie and the book have it’s ups and downs I still like each of them. I personally like the movie a bit more than the book. I strongly recommend this film and book for anyone who likes science fiction and fantasy. The book gave us more information about the buggers and the story but the movie had more action and pretty much summed the whole story in a great hour half movie. Although there might be many boring parts in both film and book it is very interesting and I would read and watch this story again. I give Ender’s game a 7.5/10 because it is such a great storyline to follow and I was hooked in the first 10 minutes of the book. This is just my opinion and I hope you guys watch the movie, read the book and just enjoy Ender’s Game. If you are looking for a book to keep you on the edge of your seat this is it. If you want to watch a movie that you need a sequel to this is the movie.