Timeline | Teen Ink

Timeline

December 9, 2007
By Anonymous

Timeline

At an archeological site the head professor goes missing, and nobody can find him. In two days a mysterious company comes and asks for the archeologists help. Next thing they know they are in a parallel universe occurring seven hundred years ago. Their “tour guides” are killed by a medieval bowman and they can't get back home easily.

Sounds like a typical science fiction time travel novel, right? Wrong, this book was written by Michael Crichton, a genius. He is the author of many other books such as Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Prey, The Andromeda Strain, Sphere, and many more. Since Crichton wrote it, it must be good. His stories are filled with suspense, amazing plot development, and true facts weaved into the fictitious storyline. It's storyline is filled with surprises and plot twists, the setting is so clear I could see what was going on in my head, while each character was developed in a way that I felt as if I knew them from birth. Beyond the actual physical aspects of the book there was legitimate history of that time period (The Hundred Years War). In the book the time paradox was briefly discussed (Which is means you traveled in time and killed your father, would you have been born. If you were not born then how did you kill your father, if you were born how could you have been, because you killed your father). The book itself can be viewed as a metaphor for the time paradox in action. Bringing these two worlds (past and present) together in one book, takes skill that only Crichton has. He shares this skill by publishing it and letting everybody read it. I highly recommend to others who would enjoy an epic journey through time.