Locked Up Information On Prison Systems Released | Teen Ink

Locked Up Information On Prison Systems Released

February 21, 2013
By meemersbeck BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
meemersbeck BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."



~ Dr. Suess


Prison systems have changed in many ways over the years. For instance, some years the prison system has gotten stronger and some years the prison system has gotten weaker and needed change. Prison systems affect the inmates inside and the citizens outside of the prisons. This topic is going to talk to you about how prison systems need to be changed a little bit today. Although prisons might seem they are effective from the outside, you must wonder what is really happening on the inside.

First off, you probably want to know the different classifications of the prisons. They are classified by the different levels of security. Which are minimum, low, medium, high/maximum, and supermax. The most common level of security is medium security. Many county and city jails are under this security. When you are in a medium security level, the prison has more control over the inmates inside. The schedule almost never changes; the schedule is breakfast, work, lunch, work, dinner, free time, and then bed at 11 or 12. The schedule seems very easy until someone breaks the rules. Punishment is needed in order for a prison to run smoothly. If inmates do not obey the rules, they could either get severely punished, or barely punished at all. An example would be solitary confinement or in prison slang “the hole.” So far you are probably thinking that prison systems aren’t that bad, but now you are going to learn some facts that might get you to second guess yourself.

Secondly, you will be surprised with how much you are provided with in prisons. Almost all prisons allow phone calls to the inmates. Prisons figured that phone calls can be used as a tool to maintain inmate order and discipline. Phone use is a positive for prisons because it keeps the inmates in check or else they can’t use the phones if they are not taking classes, working in the prisons, or behaving correctly. Many people agree with the inmates being able to make phone calls because they should be able to stay in contact with their family members. When inmates are able to make phone calls it is their only way to communicate with their family members. Many also agree with this because it also keeps them motivated throughout their time in prison, so that when they come out they won’t want to go back in. Prisons also provide educational classes which allow inmates who have not graduated high school be able to get their GED which will help them when they get out of prison. During free time inmates are allowed to do outdoor exercise, go to the dining hall, watch television, read magazines, listen to the radio, or talk on the phone. The only thing that prisoners cannot do during free time is lock themselves in their cells. They are not allowed to do this because they could intentionally harm themselves. The last thing that inmates are allowed to do is work inside of the prisons. Work inside of prisons helps rehabilitate the inmate. Some prisons even allow the inmates to earn money that goes into a savings account which can be used to buy personal products, soda, candy, chips, cigarettes, magazines, books, radios, or televisions. Many agree with how free time works, but there are some things that many question. One thing people question is why inmates should be allowed to watch TV or listen to the radio. Many don’t agree with this because these are privileges that some people don’t even have in everyday life. So why should prisoners be able to.

It might seem that prisons aren’t really doing anything by their appearance and what you see from the outside. But on the inside a lot is going on to make the inmates better people. Prisons are keeping the inmates inside protected and citizens outside also. With all the guards inside and out it is very hard for inmates to escape. The thing that is most important is to talk about the issues within prisons. Many already have the knowledge of what bad things go on inside like gang violence and drugs. But many don’t know about how young prisoners are affected. Since more and more younger kids are being put in prison, most become mentally scarred by the things that happen to them and they see. Many people have not realized how young adults can get in serious trouble and although they are doing the time. Is it right for them to be in a jail with inmates that can be older, stronger, and more harmful. What if the inmate went to jail for something that they weren’t harming themselves or others, and then they are almost putting their life in danger. Even though they are an “adult” the question that is being asked is Should there should the age of an inmate be considered when being placed in jail or prison?

The last thing that should be brought to your attention is the classification of the inmates. When you are put into prison you are classified by how serious of a crime you took action in doing. The inmate usually almost always stays in this classification unless when they are improving or are getting into more trouble. The only down side to classification within prisons is that when a prison is getting into more trouble and move into a higher classification they are then put in more danger because they are in a prison with more serious criminals. This then becomes unsafe for the inmates being moved because they are in a totally new environment with very harmful criminals. This could harm the new inmates because even though there are guards around you can still fight in prison.

To conclude, there are some changes that need to be made to the prison system. These changes could help prisons be more successful throughout the years. Many think that the prison system is okay, but I hope that the valid information that was supported here will help you realize that the prison system isn’t all that perfect.