Life is Unfair: Why Not a Second Chance | Teen Ink

Life is Unfair: Why Not a Second Chance

Race is one of the top issues discussed in our world. When people think of African Americans or Asians they might think, “They’re really smart in math maybe he can help me”, or for African Americans people might want to steer clear of them because they associated them with violence and gangs. Because of other race some of these kids will never get into college, but with Affirmative Action they might just get the chance they need. Also, they do not have time for school because they need money, or some cannot get proper lessons because the school they are attending is the only one they can afford. What would schools be like without affirmative action? Affirmative Action is required by college admissions to enable underprivileged minorities an opportunity they have been denied either historically or by existing bias. Those minorities should be treated equally, but minorities without these privileges get more help. Minorities should all be equal, so to make it fair under minors should get help.

Deprived minorities suffer from educational inequality. For example Stanford has shown that when they had dropped Affirmative Action their school consisted of mainly of whites and Asians. Limited access to quality educational facilities and teachers should be considered when evaluating and comparing minorities to whites and Asians. These considerations should be well thought-out when society plans to provide equal opportunities across racial lines. As long as these discriminatory educational opportunities exist, there is a need for Affirmative Action programs.

Historically, no amount of reverse discrimination can counterbalance the history of extreme racism that has occurred in America. There have been occurrences of minorities not only graduating from college, but also exceeding the expectations of the average graduate. Those numbers are few and far between. Affirmative Action is a direct recourse to the unequivocal discrimination that almost divided this country in half. With this country uniting and becoming the most successful democratic country in the world, it created a responsibility to correct previous injustices in a fair and just manner.

Regardless of the desire for a colorblind society, discrimination is seen in more places then just education locations. For example, housing and job opportunities are the obvious signs of discrimination. Racial discrimination takes place more often than not when minorities are compared to non-minorities. Those considerations are even more obvious when socioeconomic differences are involved. While it can be argued that Affirmative Action works against creating a colorblind society, it is a direct response to the fact that no such color blind exists and is not likely to exist. Countermeasures to racial discrimination are the only logical alternative as opposed to returning to the days of segregation of education and turning the other way when considering justice or fairness.
You should never judge a book by it cover but give it a chance to succeed. So what happens when you don’t give these teens a chance? Without Affirmative Action schools would not be as diverse as they should be and then students would not get the opportunity that they need and may end up on the street. Without Affirmative Action there will not be much diversity within schools across the nation. Affirmative Actions are all kids need to be inspired to handwork.

Notjust said...

Though you had interesting points and a well written article, I disagree. Getting into a good school should not be determined on race; if you really want to give those who need it a second chance, it should be financially. What of all the poor Caucasians who want to get into college and won't be able to pay for it? There are a lot.