Independent Woman | Teen Ink

Independent Woman

By Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi

I remember the day i decided to join the Army, the sun was shining and i was dressed in my best outfit. I was so nervous i couldn't see straight. I remember my mother telling me i didn't have to do this. Didn't have to do what, join the army? I love the army it's the only job i'd ever want to have. Being a flight nurse is the perfect job, i thought. I would get to fight for my country and save lives at the same time. Whats more Noble than that?

5:30 slowly rolled around. I was so excited when the strange man in ACU'S knocked on my door. I greeted him and led him to the kitchen table, where we talked for thirty minutes or so on all the things the Army had to offer. Finally we got around to what i wanted to do; I told him and i didn't get the response i expected. He told me women weren't allowed to have combat positions and to pick another MOS. Why can't we, haven't we proved our selves throughout the centuries? When will sexism in America stop?

I find it appalling that because I'm a women i cant have a combat MOS. i think i could do it, probably even better than the men that do. One day us women are going to rise up and show the military just what we are made of. So for now i'll become a lawyer since my dream job is sadly not offered for women.

Sexism in the military should end.

EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

There are people out there who think sexism today isn't that bad. Well, this just proved them wrong. Sexism is becoming an invisible monster, but does that make it any less of a monster? I hope you get your job, but if not, we can each do our part so that one day our daughters can have that oppurtunity.

Bobbi PLATINUM said...
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
Yea i'v heard about them not getting paid the same but didn't know it was true...thats really bad!!... thank you i hope i do to :)

MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Wow. That's unfortunate. I couldn't agree more how disappointing sexism is. It bothers me so much, and did you know that women and men who have the same job, women get paid less. It doesn't make any sense. I hope you get your dream job even though it isn't aloud right now. Don't lose hope!