The Legend | Teen Ink

The Legend

By L.A.Hashi BRONZE, burnsville, Minnesota
L.A.Hashi BRONZE, Burnsville, Minnesota

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'”

The Legend

Chapter One

We were driving for sixteen hours and we still had forty-five minutes to go. It was two am when we finally reached our destination; Melbourne Washington. My mother had cancer all my life and I’ve always taken care of her. I was there from chemo to recovery to remission, but this time it was different. When her cancer came back the doctors told us that she couldn’t be able to do chemo again and that we should get ready for her death. I shuttered at the thought of never seeing my mother again and of being truly alone. I looked over at her sleeping body; in the past few weeks she lost a considerable amount of weight. The doctors told us she only had six months to live, but it’s only been three months and we both knew that she was slipping away. When she coughed my heart gave a squeeze. Although I wanted to spend the remainder of what little time she had in our Chicago home, she insisted to go back to her hometown. So here we were in Melbourne with nothing, but each other. I knew she was going to die, but I refused to acknowledge it, so we never discuss her death. I parked in front of our new home. It wasn’t much, but I didn’t care I wasn’t going to stay her after she was gone. I got out of the car and opened the passage door. I lightly touched her sweaty forehead and prayed she didn’t have a fever or cold because she could easily die from it.

“Mom” I whispered, but she didn’t even stir. She must be exhausted from our trip. “Mom were here... you need to get out of the car, so that I can get you to bed “I said soothingly when she groaned. She opened her Carmel chocolate eyes and smiled gentle.

She looked around then look at me with wide eyes, “Oh, were here…I must have slept through it all”. She moaned as she tried to get out of the car, but when I saw she couldn’t do it alone I let her lean on me. When I finally put her to bed and hooked up the machines as well as her IV I went to get our lounge. As I was pulling bag after bag out of the car I heard several howls. I froze when I realized the howling wasn’t far from my location. I felt someone watching me, so I turned slowly toward the woods beside my house. These huge wolves lurked in the shadows while this lone black wolf crept closer to me. Its paws were as big as both my hands. As he crept closer I back away, but I sucked in a breath when he sniffed my leg. When the others howled and left us alone I shivered in anticipation. Maybe my lack of sleep caused this hallucination, I thought. He was staring at me with glowing blue eyes as I tried to come up with a reasonable explanation for why I was hanging out with a wolf. I finally relaxed when I realized he wasn’t going to hurt me. I kneeled so that I could pet him; after all when would I get another chance to pet a wolf. When I scratched his head he growled which caused my body to tense up. But when he rolled over to expose his bell to me, I eased up enough to continue petting him. We sat together for a while before we started to play. We chased each other for about thirty minutes. When he finally left me I felt a peg of disappointment. After I put most of the lounged in the house I went to bed. As I lay on the bed it finally struck me; I just played with a wolf. I smiled as I remembered how soft his fur felt between my fingers, I feel asleep to the sound of a wolf’s howls.

When I woke up I made oatmeal for my mother and an omelet for myself. I heard a soft knock when I finally brought my mother down for breakfast. I opened the door for the nurse and she quickly started to access my mother’s health. I watched as she took my mother’s temperature as well as her blood pressure. My mother looked over at me with a frown.

“Shouldn’t you be getting ready for school?”

We had been arguing about wither I should go to school while I was here for two weeks. She insisted I go to school even though I just wanted to spend time with her.

“I thought I would stay today since your fever came back” I said softly while I looked at the floor. When she groaned my head snapped back up. She was so pale, thin and frail which made me feel guilty for arguing with her. The nurse glared at me for distressing her.

“I’m here to take care of your mom, so that you can go to school” the nurse said flatly. I sighed as I gave up on arguing with them when it was hurting my mom so much. I went upstairs to dress. I didn’t really care about making a first impression since I wasn’t staying here long enough to make really friends. So I dressed in some ripped jeans and a black sweatshirt. I brushed my teeth quickly and didn’t bother to brush my hair. I left the house to the sounds of my mother’s moans. When I got in the car I turned on the radio only to blast it when Maroon five came on. I looked around the school as I parked my car. The school was tiny compared to my old school, but that wasn’t surprise since Melbourne is a small town with a population of eleven hundred. When I got out of the car everyone stared and I prayed that I wouldn’t fall. After asking a few people I realized that the small building that was separate from the school was the office. I headed over there to get my schedule and my locker combination. My first class was English which was great since it was the one of the only subjects I excelled at. As I went toward my English class I bumped into a huge guy. I hit the floor with a thud quickly which made my bottom hurt. He leaned over to grab my shoulder and pull me off the floor.
“Are you ok” he said with a deep husky voice. I was just about to step back and tell him I was fine when his blue eyes caught my gaze. I froze as I felt this deep connection, but I shook it off because I was sure I’ve never met this guy before.

“Umm….yeah I’m fine” I said lamely while I stared at the floor. Wait a go Indigo, I thought; he probably thinks I’m a dork now. He pulled my face up to meet his gaze only to grin knowingly, as if he knew exactly what I was thinking. That impossible Indigo, get a grip his only a guy-a very hot guy...mmm.

“Are you sure your fine Indigo?” he asked while leaning closer to me with intent. I nodded because I couldn’t make my lips move to form any words. He chuckled at my silence while he rubbed his cheek against mine. After several intense moments I saw a girl walk up behind him with a frown.

“Dmitri what are you doing with her” she said in disgust. Anger boiled up inside me at her venomous tone. An unexpected growl ripped out of my throat as I thought mine. As soon as I growled viciously at her I gasped in shock, it wasn’t like me to want to hurt anyone and neither was this possessive jealous rage.

“ I’m sorry I don’t know what came over me…thanks for your help Dmitri, but I’d better get to class” I said anxiously. When I tried to pass him, he grabbed my hand.

“Let me at least walk you to class” he suggested, completely ignoring his girlfriend’s growls. I paled when I looked over at her glowing yellow eyes and snarling face. Ok, it’s time for me to leave unless I wanted to get killed.

“No thanks” I said quickly while I tore my hand free from his grasp. I scurried down the hall and into my English class.

English was typical high school class, the guys were playing catch with this kid’s novel while the girls formed cliques and cluttered together. I didn’t plan on forming long term friendships since I wasn’t staying long enough for that. Plus girls usually hated me because they either thought I was competition or I was too quit for their liking, so I sat in the back row alone. I pulled out my iPod to block out everyone else. I pulled out my notebook and stared to draw. I wasn’t conscious of what I was drawing until I was done. I froze in shock as I realized I drew him, Dmitri. His straight long black hair that covered his ice blue eyes and his soft luscious sensual grinning lips was full of promises, I was staring at the drawing, so I didn’t notice when they sat next to me. The blonde girl leaned over to stare at the drawing.

“Hey you’re really good! I’m Valisa!” Her comment got her friends attention and the raven haired girl grabbed my notebook.

“Hey that’s Dmitri! OMG did you already meet Dmitri?” she babbled. I nodded and the other two girls squealed as they leaned over for some juicy gossip.

“Well...What did he say, where did you meet and you can’t leave any details out” Valisa demanded as I blushed. I told them everything, except for my embarrassing jealous rage. They all gasped when I told them how mad his girlfriend was.

“That was Serena…She’s like Dmitri’s ex-girlfriend, but she keeps telling everyone that their just having a break, but everyone knows it’s over. This is perfect! If you date Dmitri then Serena will be so pissed!” She squealed.

“Wait I don’t want to date Dmitri” I tried to protest. The raven haired girl frowned at me.

“You’re not gay right? “

“No!” I shouted which got everyone’s attention. I blushed from everyone’s stares and whispered no.

“Well then what’s the problem…Dmitri’s hot and popular despite the fact that his an eastsider.” Valisa said while the other two nodded their agreement. I tried over and over again to argue with their plan to get me Dmitri, but they completely ignored me as they came up with their plans. When class was over the raven haired girl introduced herself as Zara while the strawberry blond girl introduced herself as Ava. I was exhausted by the time fourth hour was over and it was time for lunch. I took my lunch bag out of my locker and headed toward the lunchroom. I sat in the back tables and pulled out my romance novel to pass the time. As I was getting to the good part the girls sat at my table. Although I liked being alone I welcomed anything to distract me from everyone’s stares. Two new people joined our group. Emily was the quit brown hair girl with a crooked smile and the guy who was holding Zara’s hand was Adam. While they talked I couldn’t help, but stare at Dmitri under my lashes. I sucked in a breath when I caught him staring at me. His icy blue eyes and sensual smile caught my attention, but I quickly looked away; fearing the others would notice my distraction.

“Serena’s really angry that you’re both making eyes at each other…why don’t you go over there and talk to him” Ava whispered in my ear. I shook my head while I blushed at everyone’s sudden interest in our conversation.

“She can’t go over their!” Melissa piped in.

“Why not?” Ava challenged.

“Because…That’s the eastsiders table”. I was really confused at why Melissa’s was worried about that table.

“What are eastsiders?” I asked. They all silently stared at each other and I thought they weren’t going to answer me.

“Their people who live on the east side of town. They literally own that side and only eastsiders are allowed in” Valisa finally explained.

“ Why?” I asked with a puzzled frown. They all became uncomfortable, but Zara finally answered me.

“There is this legend it’s called the Legend of Melbourne creek. Our town was founded by people who lived in the forest. At first it was only them who inhabited this region until others started to move here. These people who moved to this town notice the founder’s strange behavior. They never came into town and they lived alone in the forest. Then some girls started to marry some of the forest people’s men. Like their husbands the girls became different. They never visited their families, never came into town and their eyes changed colors. So the settlers went into the forest one full moon to damn to speak with the girls. When they got to this clearing they found the towns people changing into wolves” Zara said dramatically.

“You think their werewolves?” I said doubtfully.

“Yes” they all said in unison. I shook my head at their naïve minds; they probably just didn’t understand these peoples need to be alone, so the town associated them with werewolves.

“Did you ever consider the fact that the settlers were lying” I asked.

“Look I get it, you don’t believe us. But they are werewolves…every full moon we hear wolves howling and sometimes one normal girl becomes like them. You know Serena use to be our friend two years ago. But everything changed the full moon after her sixteenth birthday. She stopped talking to us and her family moved to the eastside of town” Valisa explained. I didn’t know what shocked me more the fact that Serena was their friend or the fact that they truly believe that she was a werewolf. But I didn’t have time to ponder that thought because Dmitri walked over.

“Hey Indigo, I was wondering if you’ll let me show you around town tomorrow “He asked. The whole cafeteria was silent as they held their breath for my answer.

“Umm…sure” I said nervously. As soon as I agreed everyone heard a loud crack followed by a furious snarl. I paled as I looked over at Serena; she actually broke her plate in half. Her upper lip curled as her growls grew louder. Just in the nick of time the bell rang and everyone scattered, they probably didn’t want to get in Serena’s way. Before Dmitri left he kissed my hand and rubbed my hand sensually. Serena glared at me and before she could hurt me I ran to my math class. Throughout the day people were whispering behind my back. When the finally bell rang I sighed with relief. I hurried to my locker, but I stopped dead when I saw Serena leaning against my locker. Get a grip Indigo; she can’t hurt you at school. I raised my chin and walked over to her.

“Could you move please” I asked. She narrowed her eyes at my tone, but I didn’t avert my gaze which pissed her off more. I knew girls like her, dominate girls who got everything they wanted, but I wasn’t going to cower from her like everyone else.

“You’re new, so I’m going to give you a warning. STAY AWAY FROM DMETRI” she snarled.

“No”. She blinked a few times before slamming me to my locker. Her nails dug into my skin and I could swear they were growing. Her eyes glowed yellow as she snarled in my face.

“You better watch your tone little girl because I could consider that as a challenge and we both know who would win. Now you’re going to stay away from Dmitri and it isn’t a chose. If I catch you talking to him again…our next conversation won’t be so friendly. “She said before snapping her long her teeth at me. When she finally walked away I let out the breath I was holding. I was just going to have to tell Dmitri tomorrow that we can’t hang out anymore. I wasn’t being a chicken it was just that I came here to take care of my mom not to have a boyfriend. Plus I wasn’t staying anyway, so why should fight for a guy I wasn’t planning to have a long term relationship with; too bad it wasn’t that easy for me.

L.A.Hashi BRONZE, Burnsville, Minnesota

hey I really appreciate the comment and I'm currently editing and revising the story! Hopefully I will have it up soon! If not here than I'll totally give you the wesite were you can find it! thanks for the support. Please look for me at my tumblr page for some teaser's...spoulers....early chapter's postings! I post alot of stuff for this story on my page http://limaarebella.tumblr.com/!

thanks, lima

ps looking for someone to do a review for me please contact me if your interested! :D

livethelifeyouwanttolive BRONZE, North Haven, Connecticut

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"
- Lewis Caroll (Alice In Wonderland)

I am now, officially obsessed with this book. You HAVE to write more! You have a great storyline, although some spelling errors, it was FANTASTIC!

DEROSSETT BRONZE, Hampton, Virginia

“One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it’s worth watching.”

“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today”

Wrirte more!!!!!!!!!!!

Country_Storm_Inspired, The Colony, Texas
Sooo this is really good! You should definately write more! (like now(:)