All Alone | Teen Ink

All Alone

By kaitlyn97, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
kaitlyn97, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

As a baby, I was blessed with a gift; life. Many take it for granted, but I have a story. It all started when my great grandmother betrayed a witch. Cassara, the witch, who was given such a beautiful name meaning shining on mankind, had made a deal with my great grandmother, otherwise known as The Prevaricator. Cassara had offered The Prevaricator one hundred pence and a home for her family in exchange for a child; the king’s child. The king was a powerful leader always meeting the needs of the people; he had little time for family. Cassara wanted the king’s daughter to sell. She had enough money, but knew a man who would give her everything he owned for the daughter. But the man had a twist; he wanted the daughter dead. Cassara, knowing her ranking in society, hadn’t questioned the man. But, she knew she wasn’t going to kill a child. The Prevaricator needed the money extremely badly. It was so awful, she was willing to break into royal grounds, steal a baby, and kill it.

Several weeks past until The Prevaricator found an opening in the guarding of the royal grounds. If she snuck around the back of the castle, she could dig a small hole around the fence. She finally made it in, sweat pouring down her face, ending up in a wooden room. The room was the size of the average citizen’s house. After figuring out the room was an extra, she searched. The Prevaricator hadn’t thought her plan through about what would happen after entering. Little did she know, the baby was hidden in a small room under a floorboard. The night grew on The Prevaricator. Finding an empty room, she fell into a deep sleep. When she awoke, the baby was crying. It was around the bewitching hour. Looking outside The Prevaricator’s room, she saw a figure lift a floorboard and walk down comforting someone with the name of Alva. Realizing the baby was hidden away under the ground, she waited. Around day break, the figure came up and walked through the stretch of a hallway. The Prevaricator swiftly went down and picked up the sleeping baby. On the way out, The Prevaricator chose a decorative sword off the wall to kill Alva. After making it half way through the tunnel, she heard screaming.

The screaming was emanating from the direction she was running from. After carrying the baby and running, the anticipation finished her off. The Prevaricator fell to the floor. The child started wailing as its head fell to the muddy floor. Whoever was once screaming had now stopped, its small figure nearing. The Prevaricator shoved the baby behind her and grasped the sword as tight as anything had ever possibly been grasped. The figure started weeping. In this helpless state, The Prevaricator set the sword down. The figure was a woman; Alva’s mother to be exact. After weeping out prayers, she told The Prevaricator she would to do anything to gain her baby back. After thinking this over, The Prevaricator realized her family could have so much more than Cassara had offered. The Prevaricator gave Alva back to her mother and made a deal. Her family would receive 25 acres of land and connections to the royal family. This offer came with 1000 pence and furniture for their new home.

Now, you’re probably wondering why the palace hadn’t just sent The Prevaricator to death. Well, history can’t tell the answer, and The Prevaricator never breathed a word about it. Anyway, as you can imagine, Cassara was extremely angry. She was so angry she set out on a mission of her own. After searching for seven years and 8 months, she finally found her destination; Morgan Eldon’s house. Morgan Eldon had been put under house arrest at the time for accusations of witchcraft. He was to be put to death in 3 weeks. Cassara was extremely happy she’d found him, but was still raging with anger from The Prevaricator. She’d thought about hiring someone else, but hadn’t established trust in anyone. Morgan Eldon was rightly accused of witchcraft, killing several people while practicing. Cassara asked him of a spell; a spell that would kill The Prevaricator. Instead, Morgan Eldon gave her a petite baggie of blood. The blood was his own; making it tremendously powerful.

Cassara left happily. After 6 months on her journey home, The Prevaricator had moved in and was living a healthy life with her family. Cassara used this as an opportunity to take advantage of her. Following the set up of a dinner party, Cassara invited The Prevaricator over. She gave her a tiny bit of the blood in her tea. Cassara waited years, but The Prevaricator never died; in fact, she looked healthier than ever. This worried Cassara, seeing as she never got her revenge. But, as Cassara thought about it, she was never told to give The Prevaricator any blood. Cassara drank the rest. After 90 days, she was the most powerful witch in the world.

Cassara studied, and studied, and studied. She learned so many spells until she finally found the right one. Confronting The Prevaricator at her house, Cassara had memorized everything.
“Usted ha hecho mi vida un lugar horrible, desterrando sólo le dejará la vida en la. Su línea de la familia no podrá continuar, muriendo. Tener más hijos, no más amenazas”
The Prevaricator was confused. She hadn’t done anything wrong, just given a child back. She was happy and Cassara could just find another person to retreive the baby. After research, The Prevaricator realized Cassara was serious; she cast a spell upon another human being. It wasn’t a harmless spell, the spell killed off any incoming family members.

Except me.