Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

munkyman95 GOLD, Medway, Other

I will become, what I know I am' Michael Jordan

I know what Vick did was pretty wrong but then again... is it so much worse than the average KFC consumer? Or the fisher? Or the Moose Hunter who ran for Vice President? its unfair to give Vick a 23 month sentence because we like dogs better...itsnot like murderers receive a reduced sentence because the guy they killed was annoying

I'm a huge Eagles fan and a bigger fan of football and I hate m.Vick with a passion for what he did. The NFL should never have let him play and neither should the cheesesteak of a coach that the Eagles have. We shouldn't forget players like him, but instead make examples out of him. The NFL ought to make their players be role models instead of punks... and focus less on guys like Chad Ochocinco and TO who just talk a lot and focus more on not letting murderers ever have the honor of putting on pads again.

BleedingRose said...
on Jun. 22 2010 at 9:53 am
Hm, I never said Vick was Satan, I believe.  Please don't over react.  They asked me why I wrote it- I simply told them why.  Can you understand this?  I could really care less whether Vick was famous or not, yes, he did something very wrong, yes, he served his time, but that never corrected his misakes.  Do you understand that? 

OhMyGosh said...
look at what u said. Any living thing has a soul. You just don't want to believe it. How would you feel if you were an animal and someone online was messaging that you didn't have a soul? Animals have souls. Do you have any pets? If you do, I feel really bad for them. Oh, Please. 

please... tell me you're joking. you are SO over-emotional. nobody here condones dogfighting! we're just saying that you're really "deep and sappy." don't go accusing people of siding with Vick just because we don't think he's Satan like you do.

oh please said...
i think that animals are under humans because they ARE. an animal's life is expendable, and a human's isn't. i hunt animals, i don't hunt humans. humans have souls, animals don't. this is very simple stuff here.

OhMyGosh said...
okay, why are people always thinking that animals are under our race? Because they are smaller, or can't talk a language or don't have thumbs? They are also living things. How would you feel if you had to fight to the death with someone (maybe it could be your best friend), and if no one won you would have to be drowned? I would feel pretty darn bad. Yeah, Vick isn't Hitler because he didn't start the frickin' Holocaust, but he did something horrible. I think he should serve more time, and donate some of his millions and billions of money to an animal shelter. 

WHOA said...
whoa, that was harsh!!!! but I agree with Fireang because Michael Vick is a total idiot and a cruel person. Imagine... if he could do that to dogs, what if he did that to people? I know it's impossible that he could do that, but dogs do have feelings. they are living things.

oh please said...
who exactly do you think you are? it's completely up to the NFL whether or not to let Vick play again. obviously you believe your opinion matters WAY more than it does. And... as far as the article goes, yeah Vick is a loser for killing dogs but he served his time. it's not like he killed people! people make him sound like hitler.

tina.joanne SILVER, Califon, New Jersey
would any normal citizen have been given a second chance? no. so why should vick get one??

LuckyDucky BRONZE, College Park, Maryland

“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.” Winnie The Pooh

He did not deserve the second chance with the eagles.  In my county Pit Bulls are illegal because of dog fighting.  Every dog deserves to be loved and idiots like Vick hurt dogs by not letting them be loved like they deserve to be.  I don't know what is wrong with people when they kill poor innocent dogs for their own amusement.  Killing dogs is a start and what next? killing people?  I hate how little his sentence was and how he is seen as a hero.  I used to think he was a great player.

Shahed GOLD said...
on Jun. 20 2010 at 1:11 am
Shahed GOLD, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"People are like tea bags, they don't realize their own strength until they're dropped in hot water "
“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway."

I like football! Even though I dont always get it lol .. but good words choice!

Check out my work

shut up said...
u are a freakin lier

really topher focusing on only someones winning and being on your fave team is sick

she-is-a-witch, Towson, Maryland
No one ever said Stallworth should be kept out or let back in.  So, total irrevelancy.  I'd be willing to bet most people who want to kick Vick out would have an opinion on Stallworth.  Also, he was DUI, and didn't mean to do anything, though it was incredibly stupid and irrepsonsible and horrible.  IMHO that's a whole other realm from killing in cold blood.

she-is-a-witch, Towson, Maryland

Oh, yeah, and since Hitler was a great military leader we should all love him, right?

A person's job and physical ability DO NOT IN ANY WAY determine their character.  And we can pretty much assume that a guy who kills and makes dogs kill for fun is a sicko, and doesn't have that great a character, believe it or not.

she-is-a-witch, Towson, Maryland

Even if he did do that at one point to provide for his family (which I doubt), he (star football player) certainly had enough money so that it was not necessary anymore.

she-is-a-witch, Towson, Maryland
That doesn't mean he deserves to be rich and famous in any way.

serena said...
he lost everything that really matters--like honesty, integrity....

Saulc BRONZE said...
Saulc BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want them bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!
-Bob Knight

Vick deserved the 2nd chance