Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

SK8 for life said...
inspring story just cause somones famous shouldnt mean they get better treatment.

cool story

happy apple said...
I Think mikle Vick should get a bigger punishment

this is a good piece and very informational

Mike vick should have gotten more jail time but he was the best QB the falcons had that is why those people had those signs

I believe that Michael Vick deserved to be charged, but he still was one of the best Quarterbacks that the Falcons have ever had! Thanks for sharing this with us!

michael vick said...
your writing was very informational. Your facts were very strong i lovred this writting

I think your right should he get to play football aain after torchured those dogs.

columbine said...
i believe this is true. micheal vick should deserve a worse punishment for dog cruelty!!! and he still gets to play football? anyone else would have been done for good, its not fair......

thesituation said...
I completely agree, Michael Vick needs to return to his former days before the NFL.

Curly_Sue said...
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
well said. very well said.

Curly_Sue said...
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
EXCUSE ME?!?! HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING BAD?!?! THAT IS TOTAL BS RIGHT THERE!!! He deserved every punishment that was given to him.

Curly_Sue said...
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
I think you are absolutly right. As a dog lover i feel that he should not go back to play for millions/billions of dollars. He got his chance and he blew it. I don't care if he gets some other job, I just don't want him in this one because people will start idolizing him again. It's time people see past the amazing football player.

.iloveyou. GOLD, Evansville, Wyoming

"There are but two certainties in life; death and taxes." Ben Franklin

I honestly don't think a hero should be someone who plays football. Seriously? He's just another guy, well obviously a bad guy but still just another guy nothing special, he didn't lead the world to peace, nope just won some dumb football games. Just saying, you can chose to disagree but that's my opinion.

jreedy7 said...
i think Mike Vick deserves the attention because he has been through so much and what he did he paid the price for his dogfighting and now its time to move on and put the past behind him and let people know that he is still the guy we knew a couple years ago leading the falcons. And also he is now donating and finding stuff out for dogfight and i think about more than 100 dogfighting clubs have been found and stopped because of him    

JATBZ GOLD said...
JATBZ GOLD, Winfield, Kansas

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.”
Mark Twain

Yes, I think Vick was immature by pleading not guilty. however he does deserve a second chance. That was a great story. 

CrazyKid56 BRONZE, Fredericksburg, Virginia
I think Mke Vick did deserve the jailtime because, dogfighting is sick. I hate it. I dont know how people can do it. But then again i do agree that he should get a second chance like everyone should

hurricanes said...
i now vick was wrong very very very very wrong but ever one needs a second chance and you have to think what if it was you

Sh@rK Boii said...

i agree with you on some points but others i dont. first of all his sentance was more than fair and dog fighting is horrible. training dogs to kill? not for me

Sh@rK Boii said...
mike vick did a horrible thing killing dogs for fun, but he has served his time in a prison just like everyone else so i think he should get another chance at a new life in and out of the nfl