Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

.iloveyou. GOLD, Evansville, Wyoming

"There are but two certainties in life; death and taxes." Ben Franklin

I'm not saying that a hero is someone who lead the world to peace. I simple said that i don't feel people should be considered heros because they can play football better than anyone else. A hero does much more than that. And no reason to get grumpy, this is simply my opinion, which I'm free to voice.

machadosays BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
It does not matter how well a man can play in football- or any other sport for that matter. The fact that people were still cheering this man on after knowing he had killed innocent animals is upsetting. Nobody is overlooking his reasonable punishment; we all just know he was wrong for what he did. If Vick is so good at what he does, then why put himself in jeopardy by being so ignorant? just a thought.

u a horrible person look at yo name

that's who did this

Jo-Jo said...
If he wasn't fighting the dogs he souldn't have got in trouble

weiner boys said...
i AGREE With You

jreedy7 said...
i think Mike Vick deserves the attention because he has been through so much and what he did he paid the price for his dogfighting and now its time to move on and put the past behind him and let people know that he is still the guy we knew a couple years ago leading the falcons. And also he is now donating and finding stuff out for dogfight and i think about more than 100 dogfighting clubs have been found and stopped because of him  

4norsemen said...
Ok I choose to disagree. Honestly, by your definition who then is a hero? No human being or group of humans can lead the world to peace, tell me one time the world has been in peace. Peace is just a misnomer for times when some conflict isn't completly visible or noticed. I say a hero is someone who has the ability to achieve something few others can. His personal life aside Michael Vick has proven to be something of a hero on the football field.

4norsemen said...
First off, saying Vick should have been sentenced longer is ridiculous. While I in no way support what he did, I think his sentence was long enough if not too long. He didn't recieve the minimum for his crime, he got the book thrown at him. The average jail time for dog fighting is 30 to 90 days and 2 years of probation. As for Vick being an average quarterback, well thats less than true. I compared the stats of Vick, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Brunell, Boomer Esiason, and Warren Moon. Vicks TD/INT ratio was 1.5, in other words he threw 1 and a half tds for every interception. This may appear low but is actually very consistent with the rest of my qbs, Bledsoe posted a 1.2 mark, Esiason 1.3, moon 1.2, and as of today Brunell had a ratio of 1.7. Also, Vick to this date has posted a win percentage of 57%, the best in the group. Brunell comes closest with 52%, then its Bledsoe at 51, Moon at 50, and finally Esiason at a lowly 46%. Therefore I feal you are not giving Vick enough credit for his accomplishments and are over looking the reasonable punishment for his personal actions.

EssEnce.S said...
His Social life has nonthing to do with his professional life.!

Mr. BOb said...

That is really sad that he did such a thing. I also think he should have been band from the NFL for longer.

I can't believe Vick lost all he had just to watch dogs fight! It makes me sad:(

eruhjsry said...
i think it was sad about what him making his dogs fight/:

I think it is unbelieveable what michael vick has done the past years.

i agree mike vic is a horrible person

balla97 said...
I LOVE HIM! MICHAEL VICK WAS INNOCENT! HIS BROTHER SET HIM UP!! FREE HIM!!!!!

Berta BRONZE said...
Berta BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts

"In riding a horse, we borrow freedom."
Helen Thompson

I completely agree!  I was unbelievable how mean and discraceful he was.  I can't believe that NFL teams want him back so fast.  It is disgusting, and I would be ashamed to have him part of my team.  Great writing!

Mowey Joel said...
I think Michael Vick deserved to go to prison and I also think he is a disgrace to Atlanta and the Falcons.

sk8r 4ever said...
in the micheal vick dogfighting story i completely agree about how he should have a longer sentence to jail even though he is out now

I'm glad Michael Vick got sentanced to jail but I think he should have a harsher punishment for doing what he did. The story was very good and said what Michael Vick did.

The story was about mickael vick switting teams for 130 million dollers.