Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

cavalier87 said...
michael sucks!

cavalier87 said...
not cool dude

on Mar. 8 2010 at 10:39 am
sonnn that dog is hood

teng22 said...
on Mar. 4 2010 at 10:54 am
you guys shud stiop he didnt do this for his own amuesment he did it because he was brought up in the ghetto where was was lead to this to get money to provide for his family its cruel whta he did but he served his time

number8 SILVER said...
number8 SILVER, Rockford, Michigan
I dont know..... he grew up in the ghetto and then all of a sudden he had the weight of the world thrown on his sholders. So cut him some slack because there are millions of other people doing the same thing.

volleyhitter86, Boonsboro, Maryland

"Sometimes I like to pretend to talk on the phone..."

i absolutely agree with this article. he isn't any hero, and he could have influenced many football fans out there...think if what could happen if professional athletes kept doing things like he did. nothing good can come of that.

CatCave GOLD said...
CatCave GOLD, Duluth, Georgia

We do not inherit the earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.

Most of you commenting on this article who are defending Vick seem to be hung up on only one thing, and that is that he's a great football player, and inspiration, good for entertainment, blah blah blah. There's more to a man than just how fast he can run, and his lack of compassion and overwhelming cruelty to those poor defenseless creatures he killed show his true character. If his actions are your inspiration, then no comment. He is a killer best left forgotten.

BleedingRose said...
Thank you sooo much for writing this! Dog fighting is sick and wrong, no matter who does it! If he wasn't famous people wouldn't be so ready to forgive him. And for those who think we should be mad for the killing of people, we're upset about that too! We can't write articles about every screw up on earth! So this article speaks for the dogs that can't speak for themselves. Vick sucks for doing this, as would anyone, famous or not. People suck for killing others, famous or not. Whether this is old or new news, we can still be mad about it.

AngryGopher BRONZE, Christiana, Pennsylvania

I'm a rageaholic! I can't get enough of my rageahol!

Michael Vick did his time.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!

Topher BRONZE said...
Topher BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana
I think he got into too much trouble too

Topher BRONZE said...
Topher BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana
Thank uuuuuuuuuu

Topher BRONZE said...
Topher BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana
No EdPerrys should keep writing comments he is right he is the best QB in the league.

Topher BRONZE said...
Topher BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana
Mike vick inspired many people to strive higher than they think that they ever could. He is a man of true talent and he shows that in every game he has ever played. Yea everyone does stupid things in their life end deserve another chance. You cant hold nothing against him, he served his time now leave him alone already!!!!!

Topher BRONZE said...
Topher BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana
well first of all mike vick was an inspiring many people including me would love to be as good as mike vick.

vick back das all wat matter yall keep hatin and he gone keep on shining eagles in dis thang mane vick do yo ish.. best qb in da game and yall wanna hate.. hit me up on myspace .com / bedfordboi352@yahoo .com

JKDFA said...
THANK UUUUUUUU

FGADGSDGSD said...
U SNT KNO NUTIN BOUT VICK

Michael Vick is a sicko! Why would he kill dogs for his own amusement!

Beast18 BRONZE said...
Beast18 BRONZE, Fonda, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
EdPedrys should stop writing comments for the rest of his life, he did things to dogs that are unspeakable of and Ed must hate dogs himself to say that

JakeDH34 BRONZE, Fultonville, New York
Vick should be thrown out because he is horrible at life, what made this guy so mentally il that he resorts to killing dogs for fun. EdPedrys, why are you protecting this guy. He is horrible for what he did and you are pretty much saying that it is okay to kill dogs. Do you hate dogs??????