What Matters Most | Teen Ink

What Matters Most

December 6, 2007
By Anonymous

What Matters Most

Serving others matters most to me. I recently returned from a mission trip that took place in Cozumel, Mexico. The experience of this trip changed my life and made me realize what matters most. During the mission trip our goal was to serve kids who were orphans. When the week was over, the kids were so thankful for everything we had done for them. It was amazing to hear them talk about how blessed they were to have been given a family to look after them and how God has given them everything they had. At the end of the trip, I realized that week was one of the best in my life. I thought about why I loved it so much and I realized it was because I was serving them. I didn’t worry about myself or my needs but I served their needs.

Another example in my own life is when I work at Special Olympics. Every year we host this event and we help the children do physical activities. Helping the kids means a lot to me since they can not do many things on their own. It makes me happy when I see the smiles on the kids faces because then I know that I am doing a good thing for them. Special Olympics wasn’t my time to hang out it was for us to help the kids and make them feel good about themselves. The joy of seeing them happy made me want to serve more. Serving others is a hard thing to do. In today’s society most people only think about their own needs but if we challenge ourselves to serve others then I promise it will change your life forever.