Loyalty | Teen Ink

Loyalty

Loyalty. Courage. Fun. Three things I look for in a best friend, in a person. Not many people possess all of these qualities, and when you find them in someone, you just know it. It hits you like a monstrous train coming at you head on. It’s unbelievable and it takes your breath away time and time again. It’s almost like experiencing rain in the middle of a desert; not only is it rare and scarce, but it’s so very precious. You never want to give it up because you know that once you do, it just won’t be the same. You won’t feel as lucky, and that feeling of completeness will never return again. Please let me offer you a word of advice if I may. If you are ever as blessed as I am to have found a friend that obtains all of these things, don’t ever let them go. I have found that people like this are unique and come about only once in a lifetime. Hold on to them with all of your might and reserve a special place in your heart for them. They are certainly worth it.
It’s your indefinable loyalty that proves to me day in and day out that you are here to stay. People make bad decisions and do terrible things, and let me tell you I have done plenty of them, but no matter what, you never fail to stand by me. I know that if you heard someone in the middle of the hallway talking smack about me, you’d march right up to them and say, “Excuse me, but you wouldn’t happen to be talking about my best friend would you?” That’s just the kind of person that you are. You wouldn’t join in on the badmouthing just so that they wouldn’t think less of you. No. I know you’d be there for me, to defend me when I couldn’t. Do you know how many people would do that for me? Well, I do, and let me just say that not many would. But there’s something inside of you that makes you different. You’re loyal, and it’s as simple as that. You’d never tell anyone my secret that I trusted you with, and you’d never betray me to the extent that I could no longer trust you. I know that I can forever depend on you to be there for me, through thick and through thin, through the good times and the fights to come. You support me in everything I do or try, no matter how much you know deep inside of you that I’m just going to fail. You’ll help me if I ask for it, and you’ll give me your honest opinion to help me better myself, and that’s a lot to say for a girl of so few years.
Let me now explain to you who you don’t resemble pertaining to fictional characters. His name is, well, he actually doesn’t have a formal name. He goes by the cowardly lion. I’ve learned throughout our friendship that that’s not you at all. You may have a small fear here and there, but when it comes to the big stuff, you’re ready to put yourself right out there. I deeply admire that in you. If something or someone is bothering you, you aren’t afraid to come out and say what you’re thinking, and you don’t care who is listening. Not only do you stand up for me as I stated several times before, but you’re not one to let yourself down. I know that you’ll always defend yourself and stand up for what you believe in. And believe it or not, but this actually benefits me as well in the end. I need a strong friend, not one that’s going to back down easily. I need someone that’s not afraid to jump off of a cliff and see where she lands. I know that you have the strength and courage to do whatever you want or need to do, and that makes you a better person; better than I could ever hope to be.
I couldn’t leave out the best part of you, now could I? Do you have any idea just how fun you are?! You’re crazy, wild, out of control, spontaneous, creative, impulsive, amusing, and the list goes on and on and on! There’s never a dull moment with you. If I’m bored, who do I call? But you, of course. I know you’ll always have a hilarious story to share with me, one that will give me the giggles and bring a smile to my face. You’re always there to brighten my day, no exceptions. I rely on you as my source of entertainment. I can always count on you to come up with new ideas for what to do on a boring Friday night, and no matter what we do, with you there, I know I’ll always be having fun.
Now, you may be thinking that I’m giving you way too much credit. Maybe you’re thinking that all you do is live your life and you don’t even try to be these things, but the truth is, you are these things, and I notice them each and every day. You’re one of a kind, and you’re the best friend anyone could ever ask for. Without you in my life, I just wouldn’t be the same. You’re great and I love you, and I only hope you know that I’m always here for you, night or day. Just know that only halfway through your teenage years, you’ve already touched one life, and that should give you all the happiness you need. I have a secret I need to tell you, a goal actually, and I know that because of your loyalty, you’ll have the courage to keep it to yourself, and maybe even think of a fun way to help me accomplish it. Here it is: I hope someday I’ll be as great of a person and friend to so many people as you are to me.