Sight | Teen Ink

Sight

December 17, 2008
By Anonymous

He felt the strong wind swaying him as he walked down the gravel road. The man was surrounded by array of flowers and nature that is indescribable. To him, he saw every color in the uncultivated land. The man was able to see everything everyone else could with his long walking stick and his constructive hands. Though most people thought that all he can see is just black, he knew much different. He was able to see the true beauty in all that is around him. Society saw him as someone who is exceptionally unfortunate that he was unable to explore the sense of sight. He saw his disability as a gift, he was appreciative for all that he had, unlike in his earlier years. This man went by the name Dave, Dave use to be a normal teen attending school just like everyone else, until an opportune accident he soon encountered.
Dave was never a perfect kid when it came to school. He was just average like everyone else, trying to survive the obstacles of high school and everything else that comes along with it. In his point of view to be able to get through all he had to, Dave felt the need to smoke often to deal with his pain. He felt as though he was the only one going through problems that teens cope with. To him, it is not as if it was rare to find a teenager smoking and getting high so according to him, it was normal. It was a standard day and Dave got home and wanted to relieve his stress by getting high, but this time was different. Both he and his friend blazed for about an hour and under the influence they made some really poor choices that changed his entire life. While being in this state Dave and his friend were obviously not thinking correctly and made a choice that caused Dave’s blind sight. Dave and his friend Tom, got into a enormous fight, and it was about something he can not remember to this day because it was so unimportant. They were both heated from their high and started to punch at each other. The fight started to get extremely intense and they were ready to fight to the death. The weed destroyed their brain cells and their sense of correct judgment. Dave’s friend Tom ended up sending him in the hospital leaving him unconscious. He was in a comma for four full months and it was very unlikely he was going to be able to survive.
One night, at the end of the four months Dave says to this day that it was a miracle sent down to him from heaven. God had waken him up from his comma and kept him in good health besides that he did not entirely have all of his five senses. Dave had been diagnosed with blindness. When he first heard this he was devastated, and he truly felt like he would of rather of been dead. At the age of 18 sight seemed like a very key sense to him and he could not imagine living without it. He thought that his life was going to be miserable and he would never be able to see the beauty in anything ever again.
As years passed and Dave adapted to his blindness, he really started to change his view on life. He had realized when he was younger he was ignorant and did not appreciate real beauty to the fullest. When Dave did have his sight he never actually saw the small little things in life that can make a difference, and now since he is blind he can more clearly than ever. He now extremely values his disability that he is unable to explore the sense of sight because he had learned so much from it, and would not trade it for anything. Dave is disappointed in himself that he could not see clearly when he was a young teen and took everything for granted and because of that made tremendously poor choices which could have been prevented. Only by losing his sight could he learn to truly see, and somewhere inside he knew this.