Completely Clear-cut | Teen Ink

Completely Clear-cut

December 18, 2007
By Anonymous

Want to lose that weight? You know you’ve been waiting? Lose it in just three weeks with our diet? That sounds like the many things different diets tell people so they use their diet. Because of this, people believe the only decision they have to make, when wanting to lose weight, is what diet to choose. This isn’t the only choice people can make. The better choice is simply choosing to live healthily and observing healthy habits. Living and learning healthy habits rather than using quick diets is more reliable because quick diets have numerous problems. Healthy habits cause sustainable weight loss, and healthy habits have better results for your life.

There are countless number of diets out there that say you can lose a certain amount of weight in a guaranteed amount of time. But losing that weight can be exceptionally difficult because of the numerous problems that quick diets have, which is one reason why abiding by healthy habits are more dependable. One of the problems diets have is that some of them are especially hard to stick to. Some diets, as Dr. Jebb says in “How to Be a Loser,” like in meal replacement, may be nutritionally complete but the only way it completely work is if you don’t cheat at all. (3). Diets with certain claims, like not to eat food high in fats and high-carbohydrate food, also have setbacks because some foods may follow their rules, but also be very high in sugar and other items that make people gain weight (Atkins, 2-4). One last problem with diets is, some just don’t have the right idea and don’t help at all. As the article “Diet vs. Lifestyle” says when diets tell you to lessen your caloric intake your body enters “starvation mode”(1). In “starvation mode” your body saves all its fat to balance out your intake, which is just the opposite of what diets should do (Diet vs. Lifestyle, 1). It should be clear that quick diets pose many problems that can be avoided by using healthy habits.

As Lucy Atkins says, “In reality, sustainable weight loss is about learning healthy eating habits, not guiltily adopting a quick-fix fad diet” (1). That is an additional reason to practice healthy habits. All diets really are, is one element of having a healthy routine, so when you observe healthy habits you are also doing many diets; but at the same time, and for an extended period. People can switch on and off different diets but when people live healthy habits there are only one way to go. So with all those different elements held up over someone’s life it causes sustainable weight loss. Tanya Zucherbrot said in “THE CUTTING EDGE”, “The important thing you’ve got to remember is that losing weight isn’t a sprint –it’s a marathon” (1). This just means that if someone wants to lose weight they can’t do it with a little sprint (diets) you have to get ready and run a marathon (healthy habits). If you want not only to fit into that cute new outfit, but to always look that good and keep that weight off, then how can you do that when a diet ends? Diets allow people to lose weight right now, but it might come back over time, that won’t happen with habits. Various groups of people may argue and believe that you can extend a diet for sustainable weight loss. Quick diets like that aren’t meant to be altered, and if someone tries, it is very hard and complicated, why not just be simple, and be healthy? When people want to keep their weight off after losing it, and who doesn’t. why not use healthy habits? It is the only way to keep weight off.

The final point, which is hopefully obvious by now, is that healthy habits are better in the ways of their overall meaning and results. What people have to realize is that quick diets change the way you eat by telling you what to do and when to eat. Healthy habits make people learn the ways which is going to help them in the long run, healthy habits, also, don’t just include food; it means exercising too. People have to control their lifestyles in health matters. When they have a healthy lifestyle they learn patterns and exercise routines, which they will remember and stick to forever. This will teach people control of their health and lifestyle, unlike diets where you can’t memorize exactly what to eat everyday. Healthy habits have variety in this way because there is much more to choose from and it teaches you to choose good foods on your own. Diets choose single route and stick with it, some recommend exercising but others never even mention it. How is someone supposed to get healthy without exercising, food is great, but still. “Diet vs. Lifestyle” says, “A weight control lifestyle not only helps lose weight, but also keeps it off” (1). Some diets are unhealthy and are just a quick fad drop off of weight. Healthy habits are just the opposite and really work. With all the weight problems that so many countries have, from obesity to bulimia, in any of those people’s cases they need to know that they should observe healthy habits. Maybe they need to exercise and eat better because those quick fit diets won’t help or they possibly just need to learn to eat. Healthy habits have many and magnificent results, if everyone would learn to observe them instead of diets or nothing at all, weight wouldn’t even be an issue.

Healthy habits are a way that any one should live and are so much more enhanced then diets because quick diets have issues, healthy habits cause sustainable weight loss, and they are just overall much better. If people are on a diet right now that doesn’t focus on how to have a healthy lifestyle then they need to get off it right now. The evidence from this essay shows this. Don’t listen to those ads or commercials, healthy habits are the way to go, because they are complete.

Work Cited

Atkins, Lucy. “How to Be a Loser.” Times, The (United Kingdom) 8 January 2002.
Newspaper source. EBSCO. Stapley Jr. Library, Mesa. 20 November 2007
.

Diet Health Club.com, Diet Health Club. 21 November 2007

Rodgers, Ellie. “Healthy Weight Overview.” Yahoo Health. 28 May 2004. Healthwise,
Incorporated. 21 November 2007. .

Think, ThinkQuest. 21 November 2007 25078/nutrition/reference/versus.html>

Zuckerbrot, Tanya. “THE CUTTING EDGE.” Men’s Fitness. August 2006: p.36.
Health Source – Consumer Edition. EBSCO. Stapley Jr. Library, Mesa. 20
November 2007 .