Diabetes | Teen Ink

Diabetes

Type 1 Diabetes has been affecting the lives of many people for generations. Type 1 Diabetes, the insulin-requiring form of Diabetes, is a disease where the immune system attacks cells in the pancreas that makes the body’s insulin. As a result, an overload of glucose (blood sugar) builds up in the body’s blood and can damage internal organs, the nervous system, and blood vessels. Knowing about Type 1 Diabetes is so important because it can cause many different problems, and this disease usually affects teens and young adults under 30 as well as children and infants. Type 1 Diabetes accounts for 5 to 10 percent of all diagnosed cases of Diabetes in the U.S., and the risk of developing Type 1 Diabetes is higher than virtually all other severe chronic diseases of childhood according to the Virginia health system website. This fact is extremely important because Type 1 Diabetes can mimic the flu in children and more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu complications. Although it is true that Type 1 Diabetes can not be prevented, it can be controlled. It is possible that people with this disease, with proper diet and exercise can maintain their blood sugar and become A Type 2 Diabetic and possibly treat there disease. In the meantime, researchers have worked hard to come up with solutions to address this issue. Giving insulin through inhalers and pills are now currently being studied. The best solution for addressing this issue is raising special funds that will promote healthcare. Yes, it is also evident that the correct way to address the issue of Diabetes is through exercising and eating healthy, but the first steps in controlling Type 1 Diabetes is making sure that you have health insurance such as Medicaid, insurance through your employer, or any number of city wide health insurance programs. This is the best solution because a lot of people in America are without health insurance either because they’re not sure as to how to get it, or believe that they can not afford it. There are many medical plans that are available to the public that have flexible payment plans. Type 1 Diabetes is a very complex disease to deal with and being a student who is diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes that once only occurred in Adults but is steadily increasing in children 12 years and older, I feel that it is better to be safe than to be sorry.