Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.

COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

on Mar. 27 2010 at 11:22 am
JohnnyDeppLover123 DIAMOND, Holyoke, Massachusetts

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.
William Shakespeare

yes i do have one!!! =) alright...

MissFaber SILVER, Wayne, New Jersey

Nothing Less.

No, you're not pathetic at all. I know exactly what it's like not to be able to get over someone. I haven't gone through anything like that but I know exactly what it's like to not be able to stop thinking about someone.....

so no. you're NOT pathetic

on Mar. 21 2010 at 11:49 am
White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

"A life without cause is a life without effect." - Unknown

haha. well, if you do, then go ahead and add me. I already gave you the name X) lol

William Shakespeare

omg why the heck did i put nope!!! ugh, yes i forgot i had one...sorry about that!!! lmao...<3 :)

William Shakespeare

nope...i don't, what about you???

TryingToB BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

\"He pokes your ribs and says your thin beyond repair. You poke yourself in the ribs-all you feel is fat.\"

you and me both!

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

do you have one? fb?

William Shakespeare

no problem hon!!! it was my pleasure...and i totally can't wait to read it!!! i totally get what you mean!!! hahaha =)

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

Don't blame your concious's opinion. If your still having problems getting over him, its not all that easy. You can't say, "I'm getting over this boy right....now" and suddenly you are. Getting over that boy is essentially erasing all the times you've spent together. Whether its weeks, months, maybe even years. I still think of girls in my past, because i'm frequently brought back to that past randomly on a day to day basis. You are most certainly not pathetic to have a few troubles getting over a boyfriend. If you still think you are pathetic, then you can count me with you, along with a lot of the people who have commented on this article. Tell me how it helped or what you need more help on :)

on Mar. 8 2010 at 11:32 am
DarkAngel14 SILVER, Grand Forks, North Dakota

"Insanity runs in my family, it practically gallops" -Robert Frost

Okay, my very first boyfriend that I have ever had cheated on my so I broke up with him. Since then I have only dated one guy. The guy had just broke up with the girl my ex cheated on me with. And for some reason I'm still havin problems getting over him, my first that is. Does this make me pathetic?

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

thanks hon! it means a lot :)....hey, i wrote a quick story about facebooking. It was about a guy and how he was scammed! The guys name was sam oltman...know what i mean? haha

William Shakespeare

Wow that's great that you're helping your readers with they're real life, while giving them advice! It's absolutely wonderful that you're doing that, it really gives the reader a sense of who you are...And by the way: that was some great advice you gave and hopefully you can do it to other readers with similar "Break Up Advice"...

-JohnnyDeppLover123

<3 =) =] : )

i<3steven! said...
i<3steven!, Newcastle, California

*john-son-johnson*
Inside Joke

i am infatuated with a boy who constantly breaks my heart

Auren_Lumdrum BRONZE, Alexander, Arkansas
Nice. Ya, and don't compliment on a girl's looks when you're scorning her personality in the same sentence. It happened to me and let me tell you, that was around a month ago and I'm still seaming. Watch the words you use for a break up. Forgetting is easy if you have friends that keep your mind off it. At least, that works for me. :)

choirchic101 SILVER, Norwalk, California

in order for God to use all of you you have to be completely broken

i think about it to sometimes

swim4ever SILVER, Carol Stream, Illinois

"you can throw in the towel or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face"
"no one ever drown in their own sweat"

Same thing happened to my first boyfriend i still dont know why he broke up with me and i still think aobut it

fyreflies BRONZE, Randolph, Wisconsin

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Doctor Suess
"Oh, of course it doesn't hurt to slide in softball." (before I tore up both knees and before I slapped that person)
"Stay with me here now/And never surrender" Skillet

Wow. I thought I was nuts for going after the same guy for a year and a half.

Anyway, good advice. My guy friends need to learn this stuff.

lowlaa BRONZE said...
lowlaa BRONZE, Barrie, Other

Yes, yes I did steal my mom's watch and she was very TICKED off when it was broken. HAHAHA- Good Time #201

Thanks :) Hopefully(or not..) I'll talk to him soon... Ugh not one of my favorite things to do! Thanks for replying so quick, and good luck with the rest of your writng career!

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

the only way you can. I'd say by just telling him flat out. Sometimes, being frank is the easiest thing to do. Tell him that you don't love him, that all he did was hurt (harm) you and that that wasn't a type of relationship that you wanted to be a part of. If he loved you and could only harm you, i'd hate to see what he would do if he didn't like you. Hope that helps?

lowlaa BRONZE said...
lowlaa BRONZE, Barrie, Other

Well you obviously have talent or "spark" as my art teacher says! Although I have but one question for your aspiring expertise: how should I let down a guy who says he's in love with me? I am done with his realationship considering it has brought me nothing but harm! It is agrivating because he is feeling the complete opposite! If you have an answer, that would be dandy but if you don't thats fine to!