Recovery by Eminem | Teen Ink

Recovery by Eminem

May 21, 2014
By Mister_J PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mister_J PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
42 articles 3 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Captain, I wish to report a mutiny. I can name fingers and point names." - Captain Jack Sparrow


I’m not a huge rap fan. I usually like my music to have some kind of message to it. However, Eminem creates raps that have some of the most meaning I have ever heard in a song.

Eminem receives a lot of criticism for his music because of the excessive swearing and occasional reference to drugs or alcohol. He also receives criticism because originally he was on drugs and wrote a lot of music about his party life and getting crazy.

Eminem, however, has lots of good moments when it comes to his music. For one thing, he takes the challenge of being the only good professional white rapper in America today. He broke down the color barrier of rap music, just like Barack Obama did in the 2008 election and Jackie Robinson in baseball.

Eminem’s music often has a lot of meaning to it. Take, for example, “Not Afraid”. By far my favorite song of all time, “Not Afraid” talks about taking a stand and not being afraid to defend your rights and opinions. “Talkin’ 2 Myself” explains Eminem’s feeling that he is alone in his world and that there is nobody to help him. And has anybody heard his latest hit, “Headlights”? It is absolutely amazing! Eminem released the music video for “Headlights” on Mothers’ Day because the song talks about his struggle with his parents, specifically his mom. Eminem explains that after his father beat him and his mother up and left them, his mother has not been caring for Eminem as much. Eminem also talks about how his mother isn’t appreciating the fact that Eminem still loves her. Overall, a beautiful song.

I would recommend Eminem’s music for anybody, but I would specifically recommend it for anyone who has shunned rap music as terrible and without meaning. Eminem brings rap music to a whole new level that is enjoyed by many people for many different reasons.


The author's comments:
Eminem is my favorite artist of all time, and I wish more people understand the meaning that his music has.