How Parachutes by Frank Iero Changed My Life | Teen Ink

How Parachutes by Frank Iero Changed My Life MAG

November 3, 2019
By Anonymous

A few years ago, my life fell apart, and I wouldn’t be the person I am today if Frank Iero hadn’t thrown “Parachutes” at me to gather all my fragments and soften the fall.

You may be thinking, This is just another melodramatic angsty teen trying to get me to listening to a mediocre album. Or: There’s no way an album can save someone’s life. Leave your skepticism at the door. This is my story; take it or leave it.

Two months prior to the album’s release, two tragedies occurred in my life. The first one was the brutal death of my dearly beloved cat, Albus Perceval Wulfrice Brian Dumbledore II, who was hit by a car. I discovered his cold body laying in the middle of the road one August morning. He was my first love. The second tragedy was the birth of my cousin. She was my estranged aunt’s first child, and my grandparents were ecstatic. They constantly said I was no longer their favorite youngest granddaughter. Needless to say, I was in desperate need of something to make me feel better. So, I got up at 1:42 a.m. and eagerly waited three minutes until the album was available in my region. Frank Iero had been my favorite musician for my entire life, so I counted on him to help me.

Well, Mr. Iero did not fail me. The song “World Destroyer” assaulted my eardrums at full volume for a glorious three minutes and 18 seconds, and I immediately felt better. The lyrics, the angst, and the sorrow in his voice gripped me, and I knew I could rely on this particular “Parachute” to rescue me from anything life threw at me.

I would listen to “Veins! Veins!! Veins!!!” every night, and Iero protected me from the darkest demons. “I know you’re there! Coursing through my veins! … And this bitter pill I swallow down is greeted by a poisonous smile, a crucified heart, a cancerous gut, an appetite to give up.” He gave me the strength to continue on and to accept myself the way I was.

Although Frank kept me safe at night, daytime was a whole other story. I was the embodiment of the song, “I’m a Mess" – “Maybe I’m just lost they said. Maybe I’m just tired or dead. Inside something’s wrong with me. Maybe that’s just who I am. Maybe I’m a mess.” These lines resonated deep inside; that’s when I realized I wasn’t alone. There were other people out there struggling with their feelings and mental health. This made me seek the help I desperately needed.

“They Wanted Darkness” sums up my experience with the mental health services in Canada. All I took from the hours of counseling I went to was that I should hide and suppress it inside. I call this song “The Bird Song” because Frank makes a bird sound at the beginning. It always makes me smile.

I’ll Let You Down” is the song that described how I felt after telling my Mum that I had a terrible counselor. I felt like I let her, my dad, and my siblings down. It made me feel like a failure. Frank sings about how he’s been down that road before, and it made me scared that I was bound to repeat my mistakes again.

Luckily, “Remedy” is a beautiful ballad about getting better. This song makes me think of my second counselor, a beautiful kind-spirited woman who understood me. With her help, and my Mum’s love, they made me believe I was worth being alive and worth getting better.

“Dear Percocet, I Don’t Think We Should See Each Other Anymore” has an energy-packed beat that picks me up when I’m in a mood. Its angsty, loud beat can drive away even the darkest of clouds.

“Miss Me” inspires me as well. The chorus resonates deeply inside of me and encouraged me to live my truth and be myself. I know that whenever my time of death comes I will 1000%, without a doubt, be missed.

“Oceans," “The Resurrectionist, or An Existential Crisis in C#,” “Viva Indifference,” and “9-6-15” are the remaining songs on the album and bring me to the end of my story. The four final tracks of this impeccable album all showcase Ocean’s haunting melodies; they will give you chills. “The Resurrectionist” will make you feel alive again with its tale of redemption, “Viva Indifference” will expose you to Iero’s impeccable emotional voice, and “9-6-15” will break your heart. These four tracks are all unique, but they all have heartbreaking prose and sympathetic guitar riffs.

I recommend this album to anyone living on this planet. It can connect with anyone in any stage or walk of life. Give it a listen, and let Frank Iero and the Patience become a part of your story.