X-Men Days of Future Past | Teen Ink

X-Men Days of Future Past

November 17, 2016
By SamQ8 BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire
SamQ8 BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Days of Future Past” is another excellent chapter in the X-Men Saga. It has an intriguing storyline that appeals to everyone, even those who aren’t X-Men fans.


This chapter of the X-Men story follows Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) as he is sent back in time by Professor X (Patrick Stewart) to fix a horrible future running rampant  with sentinels, mutant destroying robots that will stop at nothing until all mutants are exterminated.


This isn’t your typical time travel movie where they have a time traveling car or a time traveling phone booth, this is a movie about time travel to stop a murder. If you aren’t into that kind of serious time travel movie then go watch another movie.  Director Bryan Singer and screenwriter Simon Kinberg stay true to the 1981 graphic novel throughout the film.


Singer succeeded at creating another phenomenal superhero movie like he did with the original X-Men movie as well as its sequel. He employs the classic cast of Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and Halle Berry, as well as incorporating some newer cast members from the past couple of years such as James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Evan Peters.


Over the years Jackman has nearly perfected the role of Wolverine, an aggressive. He is a very layered character who did an exceptional job of taking us through time all the way back to 1973.  Some of the newer actors, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, have done well conveying the lives of the 1973 versions of Charles Xavier and Magneto to the audience. My only gripe about the film was the lack of main characters. There were only three or four instead of some of the other movies where the all of the X-men were important to the story.


Days of Future Past deserves a round of applause for its visuals. The theme goes from bleak dystopian future, to the 1970s. The X-men in the future all have matching black uniforms that go well with the dark theme of the future as well as the casual wear worn that looks right at home in the 1970s.


The score for Days of Future Past also deserves recognition. With songs such as “Time in a Bottle” by Jim Croce when Quicksilver was running around at the speed of sound saving Wolverine’s life, The music sets the scenes and emotions for the film.


Days of Future Past has it all, a saturated cast of characters, fantastic music, great visuals and a good story, this chapter in the X-Men saga has something for everyone and is a new approach at a time travel themed movie.


The author's comments:

A review of one of the newest X-Men movies