Sing 2 Review | Teen Ink

Sing 2 Review

By vincent621 BRONZE, Queens, New York
vincent621 BRONZE, Queens, New York

The film I’m reviewing is called Sing 2, a sequel to the first Sing movie, released December 22, 2021, making this movie a year old already. The film company is Illumination, and this had an $85 Million film budget. The makers of this film are Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy, who are the producers, directed by Garth Jennings, who also wrote the film, and Christophe Lourdelet. 

The main actors we got are Matthew McConaughey as Buster Moon, Garth Jennings as Miss Crawly, Taron Egerton as Johnny, Tori Kelly as Meena, Scarlett Johansson as Ash, Nick Kroll as Gunter, Reese Witherspoon as Rosita, along with some new cast members such as Adam Buxton as Klaus Kickenklober, Bono as Clay Calloway, Halsey as Porsha Crystal, Letitia Wright as Nooshy, Bobby Cannavale as the antagonist Jimmy Crystal, Chelsea Peretti as Suki Lane, Eric Andre as Darius, and Pharrell Williams as Alfonso, which is considered more secondary but…he’s got some importance later.

Buster Moon and his crew are doing another musical performance that is being watched by observer Suki Lane, who completely talks it down, causing Buster and his crew to go to Redshore City to prove Suki wrong, but they go undercover to find where to go, bumping into the performers, then up at the stage, where we meet the antagonist of the story Jimmy Crystal, who completely buzzes everyone, and then Buster and the crew do a song by Clay Calloway, which Jimmy likes, so he has them hired to put on the show. We are introduced to Porsha Crystal, Jimmy’s daughter, who is part of the show, but we see Rosita is scared of heights, so the jump role is assigned to Porsha. Johnny suffers some training from the worst training coach ever for the performance, causing Nooshy to come into play, where she teaches Johnny, and he gets better thanks to her. Meena falls in love with this other elephant Alfonso, who we will get more into how he comes more into her life later on. Miss Crawly is sent to get Clay, but fails, and Buster and Ash manage to succeed in doing so. However, there is soon a miscommunication between Porsha and Buster where Porsha thinks she got fired, but after being talked down by her own father, she is sent home and Jimmy is ready to murder Buster Moon. Clay Calloway is introduced to the others, but that’s after Jimmy locks Buster, who is saved by Suki shortly after. Buster and the others are ready to put on the show behind Jimmy’s back, where Miss Crawly goes and gets Porsha, but after being told none of them are safe, Johnny calls his father and his crew, who are their security. We then get to the show, where they all are performing, but when Porsha performs, she completely disobeys her father after what he caused, but when it’s time for Rosita to sing, Jimmy commits first degree attempted murder by bringing Buster up to the top of the catwalk, throwing him off, which is failed when Rosita takes the jump, and rescues Buster. This act of almost murdering Buster causes Suki to rebel against Jimmy, and bring the elevator down. Once the performance ends, Jimmy, like a complete narcissist, takes credit for it, but makes a fool out of himself, and gets arrested once Suki calls the police, but once the crew leaves, Suki stops the bus and has the show be put in the theater completely, due to how good it was, and we see Nooshy become part of it, bringing us to the end.

The starting point is where Buster tries to impress Suki, but fails completely. Trying to get the show going, and trying to get Clay Calloway is where we rise. The climax though is where Jimmy starts getting ready to murder Buster. The falling action is where the show is put behind Jimmy’s back, where the climax is Jimmy’s defeat, the show being put in a theater. Porsha undergoes quite a bit of character development, where she goes from spoiled and sour to sweet after Jimmy calls Porsha “a talentless loser of a daughter” which hurts Porsha to a major extent. The mood is quite happy, but gets serious after Porsha gets “fired” and because of Jimmy trying to murder Buster. However, the performance is where it gets good, but we get a dramatic shift when we can see how the camera goes into slow motion when Buster is thrown off by Jimmy, and Rosita takes the jump to save him. The use of colors is amazing because it really sets a mood for the story, but it also shows how it is less serious in many scenes. The use of blacking out and showing the view of waking up somewhere was a really good idea on the writers’ parts. Sing 2 is pretty much a set of events that take place after the first movie, which in that one, the villain wasn’t even a villain, just a jerk.

My point of view of this movie is that it’s a very good movie, and I rated it a 10 out of 10, and the villain of this movie was much better than the first, and the songs you get are such a banger. The filmmakers were very successful, and with how they put in many different camera techniques, and character development, this movie was one of their very best.

I am a student at East West School of International Studies, and I decided to do a review about my most favorite movie by Illumination Studios known as Sing 2.