The Host | Teen Ink

The Host

After looking for a good horror film to watch, I added “The Host” (by director Bong Joon-ho) to my movie list from NetFlix. I was a little hesitant about renting the foreign film, knowing the movie would be dubbed. After the first few minutes, I was surprised at how good the movie actually was.

“The Host” is about a dysfunctional family that owns a snack bar near the Han River. The unusual family gets separated from each other when a mysterious creature, that looks part fish, part reptile, attacks the city. The monster takes the owner of the snack bar's granddaughter and keeps her imprisoned in a sewer near the Han River. After the attack, the government then keeps the family in quarantine after they supposedly find a deadly contagious virus from the monster. The family still thinks the little girl is alive and soon find a way to escape out of quarantine to try and rescue her.

Although some parts of the actor’s lines and meanings get lost in translation from the dubbing in the movie, this just might be one of the best, most original, monster movies ever created. “The Host” keeps you on the edge of your seat with comical one-liners and high quality action sequences. I would highly recommend this movie for anyone looking for more than the average run-of-the-mill horror movie.