Ready Player One Comparison (Book vs. Movie) | Teen Ink

Ready Player One Comparison (Book vs. Movie)

By thejrosen SILVER, Grafton, Massachusetts
thejrosen SILVER, Grafton, Massachusetts

Ready Player One V Ready Player One

SPOILER WARNING!

Do you like ‘80s pop culture? Then you’ll love Ready Player One, book and movie. The movie left a lot out from the book, and changed a couple of things, but it’s still worth a watch. They each start differently. The novel starts with a lot of set up for the main plot, but it is not slow paced. The movie starts with action, and doesn't slow down for awhile.

The OASIS

The movie shares the same big aspect as the book. The OASIS is a massive virtual reality world where literally everybody goes, and goes to work and school, and also for fun. The creator of the OASIS, James Donovan, dies years prior to the story and leaves easter eggs, hidden references to ‘80s pop culture, in this case, in the code of the OASIS, and whoever finds it first inherits his fortune. I think that in the near future, something like the OASIS could be real, we already have VRs, and social media, so we’re not too far away. Ready Player One takes place in 2045, only 27 years away! What’s most interesting to me about the OASIS, is that anything’s possible, you can look the way you want, do what you want to do. Another thing I like is that it’s literally the replacement for real life, and people go to work and school, but you just sit at home with the headset on. Also I think the easter egg hunt would be really fun.

Similarities

The movie shares the basic outline of the book, but changed a lot. There’s only one scene that’s very much like the book. It’s the scene where Wade Watts is talking with the antagonist Sorento. Another thing that is the same is the personalities of the characters; Wade is a huge fan of ‘80s pop culture, and is hunting for the easter eggs, and looks up to James Halliday, and has a huge crush on Art3mis.

‘80s Pop Culture

‘80s pop culture is a big part of the book and the movie. The characteristics of the main characters are pretty much the same; Wade Watts is a huge fan of ‘80s pop culture, and looks up to the OASIS’ creator James Halliday, and is eager to find his easter egg hunt.

I personally love the ‘80s, I think it ties all of this into the reality, plus, it’s nice to think that in the 2040s people still love the 1980s! In the book Wade’s car in the OASIS is the DeLorean from Back To The Future, with wings, and Ghostbusters logo. In the movie he just has the DeLorean. A ton of avatars are in the background throughout the movie, Freddy Krueger can be spotted, and in one awesome shot, Spawn, He-Man, The Joker, Batgirl, and a Gremlin.

There are many other ‘80s references. In the book they talk about other ‘80s things such as, Atari 2600 games, and classic movies, such as War Games, as mentioned before. I think all the ‘80s stuff was a great choice by the author, because it tied me into the book, and put a picture in my head.

Avatars

All of the character’s OASIS avatars in the movie look way different from what was described in the book. In the book it says you can make your avatar whatever you want, like a dragon etc. But Wade’s avatar is described as realistic, and how he looks in real life, and in the movie his avatar looks nothing like he does in real life, it has white blond hair, and blue markings all over.

The Gates

Probably one of the biggest differences is unlocking the gate, and getting the keys. The movie does it really differently from the book; it’s really simplified. In the book Wade spends a great chunk of the time trying to figure out where keys are, and he goes alone. In the movie it’s way more sped up, and he goes with his friends. Getting the Jade Key in book is done by having player reenact movies like War Games, and Monty Python, and playing retro games such as Black Tiger and Joust. In the movie, players reenact The Shining, and have to save the OASIS’ co-creator’s late wife Kira, in a ballroom. In my opinion the gates are done well in the book and the movie, but I like it in the book a little more, because it seems more challenging, and I like the activities more.

Differences

There are also character differences. The a character in the book Shoto, who also finds the key is called “Sho” in the movie. I don’t think the changes are bad, they’re just not the same. Another difference his Wade’s body type, in the beginning of the book it’s said that he is plump, but then he works out. In the movie there’s none of that.

I recommend both the book and movie. In my opinion the book is better, and  way more detailed, and more developed, but the movie is still extremely entertaining, and is great, especially since it’s visual. I would say read the book, and then watch the movie afterwards.

Book, movie or both? Ready Player One.

2074351 said...
2074351, Columbine, Colorado
I really like both the movie and the book. If i had to choose between the two then I would pick the movie due to the fact that the movie has a lot more action and overall it's more entertaining.

on Mar. 25 2019 at 9:38 am
VampDemigod SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Half the time, even I honestly don't know what I'm talking about. The other half though, that's when I have my good ideas.

Just a point you breezed over a little: Shoto is actually a real Japanese word, it's a short sword used by ancient samurai warriors in tandem with a katana. The name in the book is a pun on the fact that he is shorter than his brother IRL, though their avatars are the same size. It becomes an even more appropriate wordplay when you realize that both of their avatars are dressed as samurai in the book.

LivingNightmare777 BRONZE, Dundalk, Maryland

Be yourself. Don't take anything from anyone, and never let them take you alive.

-Gerard Way

I really liked both the movie and the book! But if I had to choose between them both, I'd go for the movie. I like reading, but the movie has more action to it than the book does.

otisboy67 BRONZE, Westbrough, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"How 'bout no!" Dr Evil

Great Review might have to give them a look!

Wyattlax29 BRONZE, Hopkinton, Massachusetts
SUPA DUPA EPIC
SUPA DUPA LOVELY

HiHIHIHI

JaredK BRONZE said...
JaredK BRONZE, West Boylston, Massachusetts

Lets do it - Gary Gilmore

EPIC REVIEW! SUPA EPIC LOVELY

^hello^

:o :3 :0

:)))))))))))))))))))0

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

TheSweetiKiwi BRONZE, Grafton Ma, Massachusetts

"If a hug represented how much I loved you, I would hold you in my arms forever."
-Mandy Hampton

:)))))))

like and subscribe