The Stand by Stephen King | Teen Ink

The Stand by Stephen King

By shrekislove BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
shrekislove BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

LOST is one of my favorite television shows of all time. It features a sprawling cast of compelling characters, a story of recovery from disaster, and ultimately, a battle between good and evil. While it has its flaws, especially in the final season of the show, LOST contains excellent writing and cinematography, incredible music and a truly unique story. It is a nugget of television gold and it impacted the TV scene for years to come.

The Stand, written by Stephen King, is not a television show like LOST. It does, however, contain many of the same elements: a sprawling cast of compelling characters, a story of recovery from disaster, and ultimately, a battle between good and evil. While the two stories don’t seem similar when held at face value, they are more alike than different. The Stand is a huge book and a huge story in general. In the beginning, a small southern town encounters a man named Charlie Campion, who accidentally causes the largest outbreak and subsequent epidemic of disease the world has ever seen. This outbreak kills 99.8% of the world’s population, leaving our main character Stu, and a large list of survivors to fend for themselves. In the end, a tale of disaster turns to a classic tale of good vs. evil.

Stephen King has long been known as a master storyteller, and part of the reason why is this book. This story is told from a third person omniscient point of view, most likely so that no single character, not even Stu, can steal the stage for too long. A diverse perspective adds to the compelling nature of the story and keeps things fresh. And in a 1000+ page novel, a sense of freshness is greatly appreciated by the audience.

Not every character in this book necessarily fits a stereotype or mold, and the people who experience the events in this story feel alive and conscious. The story is masterfully told, as a true King story should be. Far too often, characters fall into a rut of sorts, especially in huge stories. This is not the case for the majority of The Stand. King tells his tale through many people, and each character feels alive.

Not everyone will enjoy this book. No book is universally loved, even if that appears to be the case. Someone who prefers quick, to-the-point novels or novellas will most likely not enjoy this book, as it is definitely a commitment. But someone with time, willingness, and an appetite for a good story will enjoy this book.

There are flaws-no novel is without them. As I’ve mentioned, this thing is a whopping 1000 to 1100 page beast depending on the edition. This causes lulls, occasional periods of near boredom, and a slow start. And not every character is compelling-even in the beginning, I could tell that I wouldn’t personally like a certain character. While that’s just me, it isn’t certain someone won’t agree. There are areas that could be improved, be it through editing, changing, or simply deleting. But all things considered, The Stand is a great story with great characters, told by one of the best and most praised storytellers of our time.