The Chemist by Stephenie Meyers | Teen Ink

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyers

By maddisonmarkham BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
maddisonmarkham BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

Alex worked for a government agency that was so secret it didn’t even have a name, and she was the best of the best. When the agency thinks Alex and her mentor Dr. Barnaby know too much about the operation they send a kill squad, but only Alex gets out. Now she is living under different names and moving around the country trying to avoid capture. Never getting close to someone because they are a liability and a weakness. That is until her former handler Lowell Carston offers her freedom in exchange for one last job, Daniel Beach. The interrogation that Alex was supposed to perform on Daniel turned bad when she realized he didn’t do it.  When Alex grows an emotional attachment to Daniel she has to remind herself she is putting him in danger if her boss knows she cares about him. She has to decide if she wants to be selfish and keep him or let him go so he can be safe.

This exciting novel portrays the theme that nothing can be taken for granted in a life or death situation. You have to take advantage of the moments you have because you never know if it will be your last.  The action plot and the underlying romance makes this book impossible to put down. I loved the main character because of her tomboy qualities and ability to take care of herself. As the book progresses Alex has to learn how to let people in and learn to rely on someone other than herself. I loved how she really changed from start to end and how relatable she is. I think after meeting Daniel her feminine side came out and she started to realize that letting someone else help you isn’t a weakness and that doesn’t mean you aren’t strong it justs mean you are human.

This book is close to 500 pages, but I finished it in three days. The suspense and the life or death moments makes you want to finish the book as fast as you can. You really grow an emotional attachment to the main character Alex after hearing her story and what she has gone through, which makes you want her to succeed and make it through her final mission.  This is one of those novels where you are really rooting for the couple to work out in the end and have a happy ending. You should add something about ethos, pathos, or logos