The Seventh Most Important Thing by Shelley Pearsall | Teen Ink

The Seventh Most Important Thing by Shelley Pearsall

By samdurrant BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
samdurrant BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Pearsall, Shelley. The Seventh Most Important Thing. New York, Alfred A. Knopf, 2015. 278.

Shelley Pearsall tells an amazing story about Arthur Owens in the book The Seventh Most Important Thing.  Arthur Owens is a thirteen-year old boy who learns a big lesson.  On one gloomy November day, he decides to throw a brick at the Junk Man, also known as James Hampton. Arthur refers to James Hampton as “the Junk Man.”  Mr. Hampton goes around Arthur’s neighborhood collecting trash.  James Hampton was wearing something that was special to Arthur, that’s why Arthur threw a brick at him. Arthur goes to a Juvenile Detention center, but when he gets back, he has to work for Mr. Hampton as a probation.   Every Saturday, Arthur has to go around the neighborhood and collect “the seventh most important things.” Mr. Hampton requests that Arthur gets the same seven things every Saturday; lightbulbs, foil, mirrors, pieces of wood, glass bottles, coffee cans, and cardboard. Little does Arthur know, that Mr. Hampton is creating a masterpiece with the “junk” he is collecting.  At first, Arthur hates it, but then he learns to like it. Mr Hampton is building a masterpiece out of junk. 

I would honestly rate this book a 11/10. It was such an amazing, page turning book.  I couldn’t put it down.  I loved how Arthur changes throughout the book, and gains respect for Mr. Hampton. Shelley Pearsall made this such an interesting book to read.  It always had something going on, and that’s what I like the most.  Mr. Hampton is a deep thinker, and I love that about him.  He is a wise man. Although Arthur doesn’t really meet him until near the end of the book, there was tons of description about Mr. Hampton.  I loved how he put trash to use.  He took what people didn’t want anymore, and put value to it.  He made it worth something.