The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie | Teen Ink

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

August 20, 2015
By LeslyeGalarza BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
LeslyeGalarza BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian book Review
  This book was really funny and interesting ,because it had a lot of detail and showed the thoughts of the main character (Jr) . I read this book in three days and read it twice. The author did a good job on describing Arnold Spirit Jr’s ideas . The author wrote the book in first person and it was well-written. I didn’t really know anything about Indians, but in this book I learned a lot like they live on reservations. Some parts of the book talked about deaths, and masturbation, and drunk people. It didn’t really get into detail which is good because if not it wouldn’t be appropriate. It is a really good example of what teenagers are going through now. For example, many teenagers have parents who are always drunk and when they start to grow up and turn into a man some things happen.
My favorite part of the book is when Arnold Spirit Jr decides to be a risk-taker and moves to this new school called Reardan. He decides to move because he’s tired of being poor and wants to see how it is to be at a school with white rich kids. “Agnes Adams is my mother...Yep so that means i was staring at a geometry book that was at least thirty years older than me. My school and my tribe are so poor and sad that we have to study from the same dang books our parents studied from.”p(31) It started out pretty bad but got better towards the end.
The author wrote this book and connected it to his life and that was a good idea to incorporate some things that happened to him in real life and some things just made up. The way Jr. described himself was exactly how the author Sherman Alexie looked when he was smaller. This book was actually pretty short I was expecting more of it. After i read the first page i couldn’t put it down.I don’t like to read books but I thought this book was amazing it never bored me, it  had me in suspense. I would think something would happen but it would be the opposite or something unexpected. So far this is my favorite book and  I really recommend this book to other teenagers  because it’s different and fun. Overall this book was a good book because it always has the reader in suspense but it’s too short. Hopefully a second book comes out i’m looking forward to reading it.