Columbine by Dave Cullen | Teen Ink

Columbine by Dave Cullen

May 22, 2015
By Midsilo BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Midsilo BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Humans are selfish, even when someone dies, you cry only because you are aware that they will no longer be around to provide you with whatever they had been for so long."---- Unknown


The book about the disaster at Columbine was a gripping retelling, that had more information than was needed by many of the readers. The book was written so well it was like reliving every moment of the years before, the day of, and the years after. Dave Cullen did an extraordinary job  describing Eric and Dylan with every word. The writing style was very unique and kept me very engaged the entire time. Much of it was unnerving, being that I was reading the story in the classroom that had the dead body of a teacher inside. However, the occasional switch from scene to scene could get confusing at times, Dave Cullen did an extremely good job with making all of the pieces fit together in the end. 
The haunting portrayal of the school I have grown to accept as a second home becomes a place where it seems that I am living the same life as the students that were there that day. Dave Cullen opened my eyes and showed me a world that I had not seen before, a world that I was not alive to see on April 20, 1999. The exceptional word choice elaborated more than any blob of dates and statistics ever could. And they way that Dave Cullen connected all of the writing and clues the two killers left behind made it seem like it was obvious the two were up to something. But as the story progressed Dave Cullen clouded what I had thought was so obvious, and made me see the fake world that Eric and Dylan had created in order to hide their tracks. Overall, the book was very well written and is definitely worth reading, whether you want to know more about the Columbine tragedy, or, you are just passing time.