Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie | Teen Ink

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie

By amaralou BRONZE, Cheney, Washington
amaralou BRONZE, Cheney, Washington

The influence of the reservation on its inhabitants is clear through the hardships each character faces in “Reservation Blues” written by Sherman Alexie. This novel tackles important issues facing native americans regarding their culture. Through each character we, the readers, experience every tragedy and struggle personally. We feel each death as if it were happening in our own lives, as a result of Sherman Alexie's brilliant writing. The characters within reservation blues attempt to satisfy both the need to preserve their precious culture and their need to progress with the modern world. To fulfill their adventurous yearnings the characters create a band. First traveling locally and eventually venturing out into a more exotic location, New York. Meeting new people and new disappointments the band returns back to the reservation without finding a resolution to their initial query. Written in a time of great turmoil for the native american society, this book touches on many topics plaguing any native american citizen. Being a native american citizen himself, Sherman Alexie provides great insights into the minds of native americans and the issues they face. Geared towards a curious audience looking to learn more about the struggles that native american culture has foregone in a slightly offbeat way. Reservation Blues takes the reader on a journey to thoroughly understand the native american culture along each characters personal struggles. We would recommend this book to any reader interested in native american culture through adventure and tragedy.

Written as a project for english 12