Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie | Teen Ink

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie

In Reservation Blues, Sherman Alexie creates a world where the events of the past now affect the people of the present. Through events in the minds of the people, as well as through character development, he argues there is currently an unfortunate and unavoidable plight of Indians who are trying to preserve their dying culture. The book follows the misadventures of an all Indian band, whose travels find them in the middle of a white world. Through their travels they find themselves affected in the present by their ancestry and the general social position of the reservations. The book greatly emphasizes the dislike by the Indians of the white people, going as far as to make progressive type Indians. This general distinction between the different classes in Native American society causes conflict between the men and women in the band. By using music and more specifically the blues, Alexie expresses the sadness of the people inhabiting the reservation. This is emphasized by the disassociated mental states of the inhabitants. The author uses this general distinction with characters in the book, to compare the white people inhabiting the United States of America, to the Indian people, through their drunken, depressed, poor, and out of place behavior. This book would appeal greatly to supporters of Native American Indian rights and anybody who is interested in other cultures and how they are affected by modern advances in cultural outreach and domination. This book would be found un-enjoyable to those who find themselves unsupportive and uncaring of Native American rights and circumstances. I would also not recommend this book to those who do not understand and do not care about the differences in culture between Native Americans and the white society.