Cricket Man by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor | Teen Ink

Cricket Man by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

By SammyBoy GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
SammyBoy GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“Its about midnight, I guess, when I see her on the roof of her porch...”
If your a fan of down to earth books that are chopped full of comedy then the book Cricket Man by Phyllis Reynold Naylor is made especially to your liking. The plot is good and it is very relatable for many teens. And the climax is the best part of it all. So we’ll start with the plot.

Kenny Sykes, the saviour of crickets that jump into his pool every morning during summer. After fishing them out, he deemed himself Cricket Man. Being so, he created a t-shirt with the initials C.M. on it. This raises suspicion in school, which gives him a “celebrity” like status. Everyone seems to give him a pat on the back whenever they see him. He likes to help the crickets, but he takes on a new task. The task of helping people, instead of crickets. Such as the junior across the street, Jodie Poindexter, with her problems. Not only a good plot, but many teens can find it relatable.

This book is very relatable to many teens in the world. It has real life situations (Except the saving crickets part. Your preference might be to let them down the pool filter and never worry about them again.) It has good comedy and has many surprises, similar to everyday life, since life is full of surprises. And surprise is the best way to describe the climax.
The climax in this book threw me way off guard. It was definitely unexpected, and the sad part, is that things like this happen all the time. I don’t want to blow this book, so I will stop right here. But one thing is for sure, and that is the fact that a great climax means a great book.

You’ve heard about the plot, and the fact that its relatable, and that the climax is a killer (figuratively) So after your done being a stalker and watching the girl across the street from the roof of your porch, do me a favor and don’t fall off.