My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult | Teen Ink

My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult

My Sisters Keeper- a Novel
By: Jodi Picoult
Atria Books Inc., 2004
423 pages
ISBN: 0-7434-5452-9

The bruise was the size and shape of a four leafed clover, and sits square between Kate's shoulder blades. Jesse is the one to find it, while they were both in the bathtub. “Mommy,” he asks. “does that mean she's lucky?”
Well, lucky is the complete opposite of Kate Fitzgerald. In 1990, Kate was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia; she was only 2 at the time. Now, she's 16 and has gone through countless surgeries, relapses, and chemotherapy treatments.
But this story isn't about Kate, its about her 13 year old sister Anna. Anna was genetically conceived to be a perfect bone marrow match for Kate. Since the day she was born, she's been in and out of the hospital for Kate's multiple bone marrow transplants and surgeries, and has never said a word. But, when Kate's kidney begins to fail, Anna draws the line.
For me, My Sisters Keeper took just the right amount of time to finish and it was never slow or boring. While reading this book I felt a range of feelings, stretching from excitement and happiness all the way to tension and sadness. I think this book is a perfect read for any middle school student who loves reading about drama, family, friendship, love, and a couple constellations here and there.
I liked the format of this book. Picoult wrote from each main characters point of view, beginning with Anna and then including; Jesse (Anna and Kate's older “lost cause” brother), Campbell (Anna's attorney), Julia (Anna's guardian ad litem), Sara (protective Mom), and Brian (understanding Dad).
Personally, I loved this book. I was enticed by Anna's courage to stand up for what she believed in and adored her all the more. I was pulled into this story, this family, and this relationship. In the end, I even cried a little.
So, to all of the middle school students out there, I encourage all of you to read this book. You never know, you might cry too.

gill35657 said...
I totally agree! I love this book, it made me cry so much, but they completely changed the ending in the film. It was stil so sad though. I think she is an amazing writer