Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes | Teen Ink

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

By silverdotz11 BRONZE, Palm Bay, Florida
silverdotz11 BRONZE, Palm Bay, Florida

Book title and author: Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
Title of review: Johnny Tremain and the Revolutionary War
Number of stars (1 to 5): 5

Introduction
Johnny Tremain begins the story as a young silversmith apprentice working for Mr. Lapham. So far, all is well, that is, until he badly burns his hand while making a silver basin for his master's customer, Mr. Hancock, all because of one of his roommates, Dove, who does not like Johnny at all. The author meant to write this book mainly to entertain us with fiction, yet also teach us all quite a bit about the American Revolution, perfect for audiences aged 12 and up. I definitely loved this book, and I wish to review it because I want to tell others what I thought of Johnny Tremain and lead them to reading it as well.

Description and summary of main points
After Johnny's hand becomes crippled from the nasty burned he received, he cannot become a silversmith anymore, which is a two-handed job, and needs to find another job. Luckily, he finds one in a news printing shop delivering papers, and uses that to his advantage as he and a friend help out the Patriots with rebelling against the British.

Evaluation
The beginning, in my opinion, was a little bit slow, (then again, many beginnings of books are,) but as soon as the action started, I was definitely hooked. This book kept me captivated the entire time I was reading, something that doesn't usually happen for me. The setting was perfect for the time period, along with the characters and situations, which shows that the author really did her research! Johnny Tremain definitely reached its goal of keeping me interested and wanting more, something other books from that time don’t usually do, because, until now, I found history boring and “ancient”.

Conclusion
The book Johnny Tremain, like I said earlier, definitely both entertained me and taught me quite a bit about the American Revolution! I'm so glad I could find a historical fiction book that could do that, since that rarely ever happens, since I don't really read much. I'm definitely going to give this book a great rating, 5 stars, because it accomplished something extremely difficult for an author to do: Make a reader want to read the book again and again!

Final review
I would definitely recommend this book to friends, family, etc. If I enjoyed it, why wouldn't anyone else? If you're like me, and don't give up, and actually read past chapter 1, full of descriptions of characters, you will truly love this book, a classic about courage and perseverance, will definitely last century after century!