Bloodlines by Lindsey Anne Kendal | Teen Ink

Bloodlines by Lindsey Anne Kendal

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

I was a little slow getting into this book, but once I had read a few chapters I was caught by the mystery, the magic and, most especially, the characters. Keira is a prickly individual with quite a temper; it is rather entertaining to watch her flinging attackers left and right and into trees. Her best friend Lily, while not nearly as tough, is also no shrinking violet. She is unfailingly loyal and sweet. The contrast and friendship between them is very well done.

As much as I liked watching Keira toss people around, the real fun started when she actually talked to them. Four of them were male, young and handsome. I could immediately see the potential for a good love triangle. Jake and Lily hit it off right away, which left the leader, Lucian, the joker, Tyler, and the one she started out hating, Danny. Since I liked them all (though Danny took some warming up to) I could tell this was going to be good. The interactions between the two new girls in town and the four boys that were as close as brothers was way to much fun to watch. I found myself enjoying the teasing more than the romance.

I thought that the historical aspect of the story was interesting, with the guys and Keira descendants of five people involved in the Salem witchcraft trials. It added a nice depth to the tale.

The twists and turns in this book lead to fights and mysterious visitations and culminate in a shocking attack and an ending that truly earns Ms. Kendal a place on my list of Evil Authors who write cliffhangers designed to leave you begging for more....oh yes, I liked this book. You should read it for yourself. :)