The Kite Runner Book Review & Analysis | Teen Ink

The Kite Runner Book Review & Analysis

By andywhk BRONZE, Hoboken, New Jersey
andywhk BRONZE, Hoboken, New Jersey

“The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini is a vivid and captivating story with a powerful underlying message. The story is told from the perspective of Amir, the son of a wealthy and respected businessman in Afghanistan, following along his story, from childhood into adulthood. Earlier in the novel, we learn about Amir’s relationship with his father, his friendship with Hassan, and his life in Kabul. As the plot unfolds, Amir faces struggles, deals with regrets, and overcomes hardships, especially after the Taliban’s uprising decades later. What I love about this book is the detailed insight it provides into the culture of Afghanistan. Hosseini does an exceptional job of allowing readers to understand the lives of Afghanis better and empathize with the challenges they face. 

Hosseini is able to write from his heart when describing his homeland. While Americans living in the post-9/11 world may perceive Afghanistan as a war-torn country that is full of violence and disruption, Hosseini paints a picture of a fascinating place full of vibrant life. This book cultivates empathy for people living halfway across the globe and is therefore great for an American audience, who aren’t always aware of Afghans' lives and growing struggles. 

One way Hosseini is able to establish a sense of familiarity among his readers is by letting us in on the culture and values of Afghanistan, the Afghan sense of honor and kinship that influences many character decisions. One standout example is the tradition of kite fighting. The novel's title itself refers to the cultural practice of kite fighting, which reflects the competitive spirit and camaraderie of Afghan society and also shows that people around the world find excitement and joy in different things. Through the event of kite running, we are also able to understand several important traditional Afghan values. Since the tradition of kite fighting requires competitors to be aggressive and relentless, defeating all the other boys and being the last one standing finally earns Amir his father’s respect, which is more important to Amir than anything else. This is because Baba is a wealthy and respected individual in Kabul, and values what people think of him and his son. Through this event, we realize that Afghans have a strong sense of personal honor and are highly aware of others' opinions of them. Preservation of honor and community judgment are often at the forefront of people’s minds. Many character decisions throughout the novel are heavily influenced by their individual reputation, prestige, and worth. After this cultural event, there is a noticeable change in Baba’s behavior towards Amir and begins to spend more time with him. 

Another example of how Hosseini educates readers about Afghan culture is through the different levels of social class. He highlights how these divisions impact relationships and opportunities. The contrast between Amir's privileged background and Hassan's lower social status is clear, showing that society at the time was separated into Pashtuns and Hazaras. Pashtuns are considered the superior ethnic group and are Sunni Muslims, while Hazaras are the minority and are Shi’a Muslims. Even though Amir and Hassan are similar ages, only Amir is eligible to attend school and receive other distinct privileges. The difference in social class of the two boys creates an invisible barrier between them. Many times, Amir can be seen taking advantage of this disparity, knowing Hassan isn’t equal to him, and not being able to sympathize with Hassan’s suffering, which eventually pushes Hassan too far away. 

Amir sets himself up with a future full of remorse after betraying Hassan, which heavily impacts the decisions he makes. At first, Amir tries to avoid dealing with his guilt, but it comes back to haunt him more each time. But doing this clearly does nothing toward redeeming himself, and thus his guilt endures. Much of the novel revolves around Amir's quest for redemption for his past sins, willing to go to great lengths to make amends for betraying Hassan. What makes “The Kite Runner” different from other novels is that an event that occurred so early on in the story remains vital and relevant until the very end. A significant aspect of the novel is Amir’s character development and his quest for a way to redeem himself. Throughout the novel, his character changes from being a selfish child to a more mature adult.

In conclusion, "The Kite Runner" is a clever novel that weaves together the intricate details of Afghan culture and themes of betrayal. Khaled Hosseini's narrative not only educates readers about the vibrant traditions of Afghanistan but also immerses them in the important impact of betrayal on human relationships, making “The Kite Runner” a must-read. 

I wrote this book review because I think "The Kite Runner" is such an in-depth book filled with life lessons and cultural information and wanted to share my thoughts!